Chapter 7 - Aster

The glow of the candle-lit chandeliers floods the opulent dining hall

The glow of the candle-lit chandeliers floods the opulent dining hall. Like a gilded mirage, it smooths out the cracks whispering of flaws beneath the calm, kind demeanors of the diners.

My mother sits at the head of the room's long, pristine table. My father is in one of the two slightly less extravagant chairs beside her. She smiles at him and laughs. The corners of his lips lift in return, and he brushes an invisible hair from her cheek. The courtiers smile at the sweet scene, but my mother's fake joy and father's feigned care stir no admiration in me.

Agraund rests comfortably on her other side. Around the corner from Father sits Sela. Her high cheekbones are lightly dusted with rouge, and her lips are artfully painted. Beside Sela, our brother, Ren, slides into his seat. His formal military uniform is one that I'll thankfully never have to wear; the careful art of casting far surpasses the brutality of his whack-and-bash principles.

I pass the seated Ladies of my mother's court, the army officials under my father, and the top-tier wizards commanded by Agraund. Tinkling laughter and hearty conversation glide through the air around me as I take my place around the corner from my uncle.

Agraund, straight-faced as ever, remarks, "You were almost late."

I glance over to where Ren is still settling into his seat. Not really. "Yes, my lord," I return evenly.

A serving-maid leans around me to fill my wine glass. I glance up at her, offering a quick smile. "Thank you, Alena."

She smiles back and flits away to fulfill some other duty.

Agraund demands my attention once more. "It's not polite to speak familiarly with servants when there is more dignified company in the room."

My fingers press harder than necessary into the napkin I'm unfolding. "Yes, my lord."

"Do you even know her?"

I place the napkin in my lap. "Only well enough to know her name, my lord."

"Well, then. Perhaps you should refrain from conversing with unknown help when there are more important things going on." He sighs, laying out his own napkin in his lap. "Aster, I know how you like to associate with the lower classes, but someday you're going to have to focus on reality. Your eccentricities won't help you when it comes to the world of politics."

I smooth out my napkin. "Of course, my lord. I understand."

"Good." He nods. "Now, enjoy the meal. There are a lot of important people here tonight." He smiles encouragingly.

I offer a smile back, but he's already turned his attention away from me. He laughs as the Queen mutters something to him. I follow their gazes to one of the Ladies. I can't remember her name, but I do know she has a long history of being as self-centered as she is empty-headed. The only reason she's even on the court is her family's old money. Mother can't afford to gain the bad favor of an influential line.