THIRTY EIGHT

JJ slides the door open stepping out offering me his hand which I take as I jump out of the van.

"Thank you" I smile to him whilst he puts his arm around my shoulders. "No problem m'lady" he smirks.

"Right. You're gonna post up and look out for boogys okay?" John B starts pointing to me and JJ.

"Wait...Why us?" JJ questions taking a step forward.

"Because you're not coming" Pope rolls his eyes prodding JJ on the chest.

"Then why can't I go?" I ask and get a questionable look from JJ.

"Someone has to keep an eye on him" Kiara tells me and JJ's arm falls from my shoulders.

"Why can't I go?!" JJ throws his arms in the air clearly stressed.

"There are dependent and independent variables. You're an independent variable. We don't know what you'll do." Pope says but can hardly be heard due to JJ shouting telling him to 'shut up'.

"Just listen to me for a second!" John B shouts to get the two to listen to him. "Pope you stand look our with these two." JB says pointing between me and JJ.

"If we get split up. We meet back at JJ's house." John B suggests and all of us agree. Even though JJ's eye roll says different.

"I'm gonna work on my merit scholarship essay. I'm trying to keep felonies to a minimum" Pope says while John B and Kie jump over the small fence to get to the lighthouse.

"Would you just shut up already?" JJ asks not really looking for an answer.

"JJ stop it" I raise my brows gently hitting him on the arm which makes him chuckle until a ringtone is coming from the van.

"Jess it's yours!" Pope shouts from the Twinkie.

"Who is it?" I ask as I walk to the van peering my head inside to see Pope holding up my phone.

'Rafe Cameron'

I furrow my brow confused at why he would be calling me. I take my phone from Popes hand and quickly climb to the top of the van laying down on my back.

I answer the phone and am greeted by the far too familiar voice of Rafe.

"Jess? You there?" He questions sounding out of breath.

"Yeah it's me. Did you need something?" I question.

"Yeah, Shoupe came round and asked why you've not packed up your house? He wanted me to ask if it'd be alright for me and Sarah to pack it up. There's someone wanting to move into it." He explains to me.

Why wouldn't Sarah tell me? I'm not complaining it is Rafe Cameron after all. But me and Sarah are closer than me and Rafe.

"Yeah yeah sure you guys can pack up my stuff. Thanks for letting me know but I have to go now." I tell him with a small smile on my face even though he can't see it.

"Okay well I'll go tell Sarah. See ya" he says and ends the phone. I sit up so up legs dangle off the top of the van.

"Who was that?" JJ asks squinting up to me due to the extremely bright sun.

"Rafe" I answer but as I do JJ turns his head and I can practically feel is eye roll.

"What did he want?" JJ questions throwing stones at a nearby tree.

"I'm officially living at the Cameron's" I admit with a small smile. He turns his head yet again to roll his eyes. I chuckle as I jump down from the top of the van.

"What's so funny?" JJ asks as I take the seat next to Pope in the back of the Twinkie.

"Just the fact the you're disgusted at the fact that I was talking to Rafe." I answer sighing whilst sinking into the chair.

"That's not it" JJ tells me leaning against the sliding door of the Twinkie.

"Then what is it?" I ask clearly annoyed. He doesn't answer which make me more annoyed.

"I think someone is jealous" Pope comments with a small laugh. Which quickly stops when JJ send his a glare.

"I'm not jealous. Look Jess If you wanna screw Rafe so badly, go ahead I don't care" JJ rolls his eyes yet again.

"Just cause I'm talking to someone of the opposite sex you think I wanna jump in bed with them? Thanks for thinking so highly of me" I sigh as I climb into the front of the van.

JJ tries to talk to me but is stopped by Pope. The two begin to argue and I can hear the distant sound of sirens the seem to be getting closer.

"Guys. Guys! Guys!" I shout getting their attention. "Cops" I say and I quickly turn the Twinkie on and drive off.

"Okay so where exactly am I going?" I question the two boys sat in the back.

"Drop the Twinkie off at John B's then we can go to yours Jess" Pope suggests as he climbs into the front.

"You'll have to dive cause I don't know they way back to John B's" I tell him as I pull over.

Pope gets out of his side of the car to walk around and get to the drivers seat. I look at JJ through the rear view mirror and he rolls his eyes.

"What?" I asks scrunching my eyebrows. As I climb over to the passenger seat.

"Nothing" JJ answers as Pope finally gets into the van. I sigh to myself and Pope begins to drive us to John B's.

The drive to the chateau was the loudest silence I've ever sat through in my life. I don't get what JJ has against Rafe is the feud between pogues and kooks really that bad.

Finally we end up at John B's. "Okay so where we going?" JJ asked me and Pope.

"Jess'" Pope replies as we all get out of the Twinkie.

I look to JJ and he shakes his head with a chuckle and I send him a confused look. "Yeah we can't do that" JJ tells Pope.

"What-What do you mean?" Pope answers whipping the sweat off his forehead.

"Little Miss Eppolonia here is becoming apart of the Cameron family-" JJ starts explaining throwing his hands in the air.

"That's not what's happening. I have to live at the Cameron house. That doesn't mean I'm apart of their little family." I correctly explain to Pope.

"Okay.....guess we'll just go to mine then. A run in with Ward Cameron isn't exactly on my list of things to do today." Pope says as he walks passed me and JJ.

"What's your problem?" I question the blonde stood next to me.

"I don't have a problem" JJ answer only making my annoyance turn to anger.

"Yes you do JJ! I don't get it why are you so annoyed at me all of a sudden?! Did I do something to you? 'Cause if I did please enlighten me!" I shout to him louder than I anticipated.

I see the anger that's rising in him that he's tying to keep below the surface.

"It's not you I'm annoyed at okay?!" He shouts back walking towards me so my back ends up hitting the Twinkie.

Are faces become inches away and I can feel his breath on my face. I stare deep into his eyes as he does with mine.

"What're you two doing?" I hear Pope say stopping anything from happening.

"Nothing." I shake my head walking away from JJ and Pope.

"Where are you going?!" Pope shouts but I don't answer. I just begin walking down the street with place to go in mind.

"Jess?" I hear a voice say and I snap my head in the direction. A car that for some reason looks familiar. "What're you doing here?" They ask the sun is keeping me from seeing the persons face.

I take a step closer to reveal Topper with Rafe in the passenger seat. This is going to be fun.

My updates are so bad recently I'm sorry I've got hella school work right now. Also my new book 'Magnolia' is out I'd appreciate it if you could I give it a look.