Chapter 59

My hands slipped and I wrote over 6k words (which means it's unedited eheh)

▬۩▬

The dream diary sat open on Juliette's lap as she tapped her quill against it. She was initially excited to write down and discuss her dreams with Trelawney, but now she felt lost. She couldn't remember any of her dreams. The last one she remembered was with Umbridge and her cats but even that dream didn't have a context.

Better than nothing, I guess, Juliette thought and wrote down a simple; I had a dream about Professor Umbridge in her office and her many porcelain tea plates with cats living in them.

And there went her excitement. She closed the diary and didn't open it until the next Divination class.

Trelawney's grey cat lazily walked around the cozy room, rubbed against Juliette's leg in greeting before taking its place on one of the chairs in the back corner. Juliette couldn't acknowledge it, she was busy eyeing Umbridge suspiciously, who stood near the door with a clipboard in her hand. The countless crystal balls were placed on unsteady looking shelves nearby, and Juliette wouldn't be too bothered if they all fell on top of Umbridge. Trelawney looked uncomfortable by the inquisitor's presence as well as the rest of the students.

"Please take out your diaries. Today we will be discussing and interpreting them together." The professor instructed.

Juliette hesitantly grabbed her diary from her bag. The only writing she did was of the dream about Umbridge and there was no way she was going to read that out loud with Umbridge in the room. No way.

"Who would like to go first?" Trelawney asked with a tense smile, her wide eyes glancing at the inquisitor constantly for approval. She didn't receive any.

Lavender Brown eagerly raised her hand along with Parvati Patil, and Lavender was chosen to go first. She held up her diary and cleaned her throat,

"On Monday, I dreamt about going home for Christmas and decorating our tree by the fireplace with my cousins. It was daytime and I recall hearing my grandmother's voice from upstairs. On Tuesday, I dreamt about my pet rabbit Binky, who passed away a few years ago. It was the day I received him as a gift on my birthday. I was feeding him all the carrots and salads that he wanted. On Wednesday, I–"

"Excuse me," Umbridge unexpectedly interrupted the eager Gryffindor with a quiet cough, and directed her eyes at Trelawney. "But what is it that you teach in this classroom?"

Trelawney didn't know how to answer that question at first. She looked like she was trying to understand why that question was being asked.

"Divination. Future gazing and interpretation of what the Inner Eye perceives." She replied with a smile, as if her explanation was going to excite Umbridge. "Our current subject is dreams. We-"

"And you've been teaching these brilliant students since their third year, correct?" She asked, her quill raised and ready to write on her paper.

"I- Yes. Correct." Trelawney answered, her smile gone, before Umbridge turned to address the class.

"Please show me a raise of hands if you know how to predict the future." She asked, and no one in the room moved a muscle except for to look at each other. She was attempting to show that the Divination was a useless subject and everyone in the class was aware of that. Juliette's hand twitched, but she knew better than to get the satisfaction of proving Umbridge wrong by revealing herself. She had a feeling that Snape would grill her alive and Dumbledore would serve her remains for dinner.