Chapter 12: Challenger Part 1

14:19 GST (Galar Standard Time)

Wyndon Stadium

PWC Final. Round 1 of 2.
Ash Ketchum vs Leon

Ash could feel his heart racing. The match would start in a few minutes and he didn't feel ready. The stadium in Wyndon roared for Leon. Ash looked up at the scoreboard and saw some of the pre match ceremonies. Wyndon was going all out here. Leon was doing a warmup with his Pokemon and the crowd was doing a synchronized chant. Almost 100,000 people inside the stadium and many more outside were chanting.

THIS REGION IS OURS! THIS REGION IS OURS! GALAR IS BETTER LEON IS SURE
THEY SAY YOU'RE A CHAMP! THEY SAY YOU"RE A CHAMP

COUNTLESS LOST LEAGUES, ARE YOU F*CKING SURE?

Ash couldn't let these hooligan fans get to him. The clock started counting down from 5 minutes.

He stood up and decided to walk out in the arena early. He couldn't let the crowd force him to hide

Four minutes. Ash had selected his team for this match. He trusted them entirely

Three minutes. Ash looked for a friendly face in the crowd but couldn't find anyone

Two minutes. Ash scratched Pikachu's ears and did a few stretches

One minute. Ash made eye contact with Leon who gave him a grin.

0.

The referee spoke up over the loudspeakers.

"I'd like to welcome everyone to the finals of the 2021 PWC. First of all, please give both of these contestants a round of applause for reaching the finals to begin with."

A thunderous roar went through the crowd

"I'm sure you're familiar with the format of the PWC this year, but just to review. There will be two legs of a three on three battle. This is the first leg. Best of luck to both of the trainers.

Contestant Ash has motioned for there to be no substitutions in this match. Do you consent to this Contestant Leon?"

Leon nodded.

Well then, may the best trainer begin

"BATTLE BEGIN"

Ash felt time slow. The referee dropped his flags and Leon reached for his belt to grab a Poke Ball.

Ash did the same. "Alright then. Krookodile, I choose you!" he threw a Poke Ball and his loyal ground type emerged.

Leon looked at Ash and grinned. "Fine by me! Aegislash, let's have a champion time!"

Aegislash made the first move. Leon yelled out his order. "Ok Aegislash, let's beat down Krookodile. Use sacred sword!"

Ash knew this attack would be coming. He had seen the replays. "Don't let him hit you! Dodge with a Dig Krookodile." Krookodile jumped under the ground and Aegislash didn't follow."

Leon told his Aegislash. "Stay on guard! He could be anywhere."

Leon was correct in that regard. Krookodile suddenly came up from under the ground and landed a savage crunch attack on Leon's Aegislash.

"Aegislash no!"

Krookodile's grip with his teeth caused Aegislash to screech in pain.

Leon yelled out a command in hopes of helping fix Aegislash's predicament. "Aegislash, use King's shield!" Ash yelled out in response. "Aegislash don't follow him! Stay your ground and let him defend."