Chapter 6

That afternoon, Makra was buried along the edges of the sunflower fields near the very rock Tsote and Opit had stoned some monkeys that threatened to rob one of Opit Ramundo's baskets of sunflower harvest

That afternoon, Makra was buried along the edges of the sunflower fields near the very rock Tsote and Opit had stoned some monkeys that threatened to rob one of Opit Ramundo's baskets of sunflower harvest. Their father was a deeply broken-hearted man. He had deserted his down south mission and yet the situation was dire! Without his arrival in the time he was expected, many villages were laid to waste by some parks of wild animals.  

Yudo Ramundo thought long and deep. He hardly slept in the nights and in the mornings, when the sun rose; he made it his habit to sit under the village's largest Emaro Tree situated in front of his family homestead. The Emaro tree stood at the end of the biggest road leading out of Marakusha. Most of the ox-drawn wagons used this road to the granaries.

Meanwhile, Opit understood he needed to work harder to please his father! Tsote remained with him long three more days after the burial, only to return home late when it was dark and the skies starry. While there, he helped him focus even better.

On the third day after the burial, Opit Ramundo and Tsote woke up to a new plan. Master O'tet Roto would not be at the bakery because he had to meet a special messenger sent by Chief Chenoya from the southern. The three warriors were obviously here to understand why the great baker Yudo Ramundo whom they expected to receive in the Down south six days ago never showed up.

While leaving Master O'tet Roto approached his master to report the arrival of the messenger and his men from the down south... Menshi Yudo Ramundo looked on like a deaf or mute man! His thoughts were distant which was frustrating, and even worse when he had to go without a response from his master.

Before he left, Master O'tet Roto instructed Opit and his friend Tsote on how to go about the day's baking until he returned. Neither did Tsote have the training to attend this day. So they worked hard and by midday, they felt so exhausted waiting for Master O'tet Roto's next assignment. The two got bored and Opit Ramundo decided to take a little nap on a table placed with lots of bread waiting to be packed in boxes and supplied to the village homestead.

While sleeping, Opit saw Tsote making the round sunflower-shaped loaf once again. He helped him sprinkle some herbs and spices on the sunflower-shaped dough. They covered the bread and Master O'tet Roto placed it in the baking area with several other loaves.

After baking, the loaves are removed and arranged on different tables around the bakery except for this special sunflower-shaped loaf. Master O'tet Roto takes it and delivers it himself to where the boys stood. He held it out on a wooden platter. Tsote took it the way he did when they made the first real one. He thanked Master O'tet Roto who smiled and turned to return to his baking.

The boys looked at the beautifully swollen loaf placed on a table in front of them! In a joking manner, the boys urged about who should cut it first. Until Opit won!

'I am the great sunflower bread warrior's last heir; I'll do the beheading of the sunflower loaf!'

He took the knife and held it above the loaf with a wide smile. But hardly had the knife touched the loaf when out of the surface of the loaf popped a Honto butterfly, resembling those they always saw collecting nectar from sunflowers during early morning harvest out in the fields.