Chapter 1

Once upon a time, in a world of magic and wonder, in a land known as Esia, there lived a people of many cultures and races, the Tonyai

Once upon a time, in a world of magic and wonder, in a land known as Esia, there lived a people of many cultures and races, the Tonyai. They were a centralised and organised people, with kingdoms and chiefdoms as ancient as nine thousand years.  

The first and earliest mortal men made their homes in the central regions of Esia, a place known as the Shadowlands. Here, the legendary and supposed half-immortal warrior tribe, the Yakunko, held sway over all the Tonyai people.

In times long gone, men lived in fear of the desert sands and the monsters of the storms, the beasts of the mountainsides and the creatures of the jungle. These lands were roamed by fearsome things long before man ever settled there.

But the Shadowlands offered the most fertile land in all of Esia, with the freshest and most eternal of rivers and lakes. And so, men came to live in the heart of this magical land, where the Yakunko held rule over all.

However, a variety of mythical beings, beasts of the wild and monsters of the mountainsides had a greater bond and familiarity with these lands' inside out! As the myths say, humans came from the depths of the sea. They set up their first base along the shores of the Eastern Sea. They initially identified themselves by 12 clans whose numbers grew to birth 12 tribes. Over a period of 2500 years, they created powerful chiefdoms and expanded their settlement for miles into the interior of the wild lands of Esia.

Their expansion encroached on everything the wild beasts and monsters of the Shadowlands they once called home. These creatures generally identified themselves as - Kuoka species

Humans cared not who lived here first. Their greed, cunningness and brutality overwhelmed the Kuoka. Those that survived gradually withdrew to hide underground, on mountaintops and in the darkest of jungles where they remained silent for thousands of years that generations later, children of men considered their myths and legends. The only relatable truth existed in rock paintings across the shadowlands made by guardians of the Kuoka species and first men.

Humans established villages wherever they found these Special rock paintings made by the Kuoka to remind them and their children how far they'd come.

They normally comprised of three strangely enchanted rocks marked with uniquely artistic pictograms and engravings which magically changed every nine years to depict hidden historical events about the past ages of Esia, - one rock focused on humans, the second on the ancient gods and the third on the K'woka species (who were the beasts of the wild, monsters and magical beings).

These rocks were protected by Yakunko village chiefs and regional seers who were known to possess the mark of Klode, the famous ancient god of the Shadowlands known as Klode. (Even though, these seers their powers from certain special artefacts left behind by guardians of the ancient K'woka species. And these, they secretly passed down to their first sons.)