13 | proximity and control

| Amelia |

Unrest.

That dreadful feeling was the only one unleashing inside me as I felt his gaze on me, heated with anger but cold with indifference - a deadly combination that was an indictment of all he could do.

His arm remained enclosed around me in a strong grip, the fingers resting on the small of my back. The silky material of my dress was so thin that I could feel his touch on my skin; it did nothing to ease my uneasiness with our proximity.

With him glaring dangerously down at my form, my heart pounded in my chest with each passing second as the wind of anticipation swirled inside my stomach.

"Shut up and don't create a scene."

The lingering silence was broken as he grunted in the bare distance between us, his eyes glinting with his simple warning. His long fingers clawed the skin of my lower back as he swiftly pulled me closer, diminishing any form of space between us.

My eyes widened in shock as I instantly tried to break free from his hold, the newfound proximity making a burning sensation travel all throughout my body.

What was he doing?

But before I could question him, he set his jaw firmly and spoke again, his voice thick with irritation. "For once in your fucking life, listen to me."

With no option left, I nodded my head slowly, restraining my body movements and easing under him - physically, at least.

Even with my cooperation, he only tightened his grip like a vice, as if conveying his warning and disapproval through his touch. The anger on his face became more apparent - and terrifying - as he began swaying our compressed bodies to the soft music playing in the background.

I was dancing with Noah Carter.

All the measly voices around us seemed to fade into the background, becoming insignificant in the impending disaster that was my predicament.

"You're lucky this is an important event." He gritted out, as if restraining himself while wanting to decimate me at the same time. "My father would hate if something jeopardised tonight."

His tone alone was enough to make me keep my head lowered; there was something about his gaze that was so deadly, so dark...it was difficult to maintain it for a prolonged time.

Suddenly, I felt the warming sensation of two of his fingers resting under my chin, tilting my face upward forcefully.

I swallowed the lump in my throat as I found myself staring right up at him, involuntarily. And god would I be lying through my teeth if I denied just how entrancing he looked.

A solitary strand of lusciously dark hair rested on his forehead, reaching the top of his eyebrow and curling innocently at the end. It was puzzling - and frustrating - that he managed to emanate the image of an angel while being sinful as the devil on the inside.

My trance was broken as I noticed him eyeing me in the same way as I was, heating up my cheeks. His gaze travelled up and down my form through his dark lashes, bright eyes shining with anger.

A shiver travelled through my being as he spoke, setting his jaw within its frame tightly.

"Something like you."

My nervousness doubled at his words and the disgust laced in them, but I found myself unable to get rid of the intense burden of his gaze - he wouldn't let me, either way.