Chapter 4 | A little wine won't hurt

Start from the beginning

"Excuses, excuses."

Bella just ignores her smirk and goes to her room but can't help the small smile that covers her face as she hears Caroline laughing. She ignores that too and closes the door of her room so she can do her college work before she goes to sleep.

...

"Here you guys go, you can just put them on the table and I'll finish the rest." Mrs. Willson gives Nate and Bella a stack of books they need to carry to the college library. The two of them were ready to head home but Mrs. Willson was quick to stop them so they can help her with the new books that arrived for their college.

"Why did it have to be us?" Nate huffs as he tries to steadily move up the stairs. Bella giggles as her best friend keeps whining about it but immediately stops so the tower of the books she is holding doesn't fall. You can barely see the top of their heads from the books they are holding.

"Hey, wait for me!" Bella almost yells at Nate. His long legs are giving him the advantage of quick steps making Bella stay behind. She is now alone in the hallway as Nate is probably already in the library.

She stops for a second to rest, the heavy books making her arms hurt. After a moment she starts walking again and as she rounds the corner her body hits something or rather someone, making her and the books fall to the ground.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry. I didn't see you, I'm sorry." She says quickly as she gets on her knees and starts picking up the books, still not looking at the person in front of her because she is embarrassed.

"It's fine love. But are you okay?" Her head snaps so hard at the sound of a familiar voice that she is sure she could've broken her neck. Her eyes widen when she looks at the man in front of her. Alexander Hart.

"M-Mr. Hart. What are you doing here?" Bella asks completely shocked to see him at her college. Maybe he's here to teach another class? She thinks but gets even more shocked as he says the next words.

"I came to see you." He smiles a little at her surprised expression. But his eyebrows furrow and a frown covers his face as he looks down at her. "Come here." He extends his hand so he can help her get up from the ground.

Bella shyly puts her hand in his and he gently tugs her up before he crouches down to pick the remaining books off the ground as well. "Lead the way." He says as he looks at the books in her arms, indicating that he wants to help her with carrying them to wherever she needs to take them.

"So...you wanted to see me?" Bella breaks the silence as they make their way towards the library. He nods and looks down at her before answering. "You didn't call me." He states and she looks at him, making quick eye contact before looking down again.

"I...didn't make my decision yet..." Bella quietly says.

"You didn't make your decision or you're not sure about your decision?" He could read her.

"I'm not sure about my decision." She confirmes and tries to look anywhere but him. He noticed her slightly nervous behavior and his lips twitch into a small smile. "Is there anything, in particular, that is making your decision hard for you to make?"

He guesses right again and she thinks this man can read her mind. She heaves a sigh as she sees the library door and answers him. "Yeah."

"Okay, we will discuss about it."

Bella was about to say something but the library door opens and reveals her best friend. "There you are shortcake! Give me those." Bella scrunches her nose at the nickname, cursing Nate in her mind for calling her that in front of Alexander. But the said man found the little action cute, and his lips stretch in a smile again.