117. pasts & grandmas

Start from the beginning

"Are you sure? How about some new sheet music? Or possibly a new dress?"

"I'm alright," Claudia said, smiling awkwardly and then falling into a state of confusion. "Grandmother?"

"Yes?"

"Why are you suddenly so...grandmotherly?" Claudia asked slowly and quietly, confusing herself as well with her question.

However, let's face it, Claudia had no idea why Margaret had suddenly brought together the family for butterbeers and then asked if she could have one alone with Claudia and after that asked her if she wanted anything for her birthday.

Sure, Margaret had always had some sort of hidden soft spot for Claudia. Healing her, defending her and planning to leave the family legacy to her proved that. Even so, Margaret wouldn't in Claudia's wildest of dreams had asked her if she wanted a new dress for her birthday.

Margaret chuckled slightly, "I've been your grandma your entire life, haven't I?"

"Yes, but...you've just never really been like this."

"Oh, I see what you mean," Margaret said with a faint smile. "You know, Claudia, I've done some things I'm not proud of. Ignoring you for many years is one of them. I'd quite like to get to know you a bit."

"Really?"

"Yes, of course, why are you so shocked?"

"I'm not sure," Claudia shrugged. "So, you just realised that one day, or...?"

"You could say that," she said, and once again there was something hidden in her eyes. "So, Claudia, I'm going to ask you again. Is there anything you want for your birthday?"

"No."

"Then it's too bad I've already got you something," said Margaret, picking up a small gift from her purse.

"Oh, you don't have to-"

"Oh, cut the politeness, girl," Margaret said, causing Claudia to take off the ribbon of the box as well as the lid. "It's only right considering that it's a family heirloom."

"A family heirloom?" Claudia asked as she picked up a small silver ring with a maple leaf engraved on it.

"Yes. It belonged to your grandfather, and his father, as well as his father," she explained. "I managed to get it altered to fit you."

"But why don't you give it to my father instead? He's not dead yet, he's the rightful owner-"

"It once belonged to my son," said Margaret. "Albert, I mean."

Albert.

Albert was the oldest son of Margaret and her husband Barney, which meant that he was the older brother of Charles. He was the one who had passed away as he and his wife expected a child all those years ago before Claudia was even born.

This was a story Claudia barely knew anything about. However, she did know that it was a sensitive topic that her father never spoke of and her grandmother found hard dealing with.

Every time Claudia had asked about it growing up something had had happened to her. So, now when she was around her grandmother who never would hurt Claudia intentionally, the girl's curiousuty took over.

"Albert?"

"Yes," Margaret nodded. "It once belonged to him considering that he was the oldest which meant that he would inherit the riches. You know, he was supposed to give the ring to his unborn son when he was old enough...but that obviously never happened. So, instead, I figured we could pass it down to you. That I could pass it down to you."