Chapter two

Nightmare curled up into a ball on his sofa by the fireplace. He held the book of 'The War of Humans'. He felt inspired to reread it for Mari. Maybe he could practice his narrating voice. And perhaps he could try to give each character a different accent. For example, Sir Thomas the Human's Leader could have an Elvish accent.

"Onward to war!" he tried. It sounded funny. He then tried his luck with an ogre accent. But, unfortunately, it didn't work out.

He sighed and focused on the fireplace. He was only with Mari for a quarter of an hour and forgot how it felt to be alone.

The fireplace crackled and licked the longs gently. The rumbling of the thunderstorm outside shook the tower and cradled Nightmare. The longer he focused on the flames, the warmer he felt. The scent of old and dusty books brought him serenity. He felt the shine of the moon bathe him, and the excellent thought of maybe seeing Mari again brought rest to his eyes.

~~~

Prince Dream, a skeleton with golden pupils, a black and gold button-up, black trousers, and white boots, sat at a desk filled with ink, feather quills, scrolls, and the occasional stamp press. 

"But that shouldn't be allowed! My poor son already suffers much. I don't think his wounded heart can take much more!" A woman cried out in sorrow. "Our Lord is aware; He rather have a safe Kingdom than a menace ruling our Kingdom. He knew that would be your reaction and told me to... To make sure that you knew your place." A man said, trying not to upset the Queen further. Then Queen sobbed a little. "What would become of the crown?" The voices faded as the conversation walked farther away from Dream's study's door.

Dream felt something wet roll down his face and onto his parchment. He put a finger to his cheek and let a tear drop onto it. They didn't know that he was in here. And they didn't realise that he could hear them.

The stress of this knowledge and the fear of his brother's reaction made frustrated tears form. He put a lid on his ink bottle and looked outside of his window. Rain fell, and thunder cracked. He knew exactly where Nightmare would be at this time, in the library in the tower.

Dream snuck out of his study and crept his way to the left-wing tower room. "N-Nighty?" He said quietly. "Hm?" a shadowed head lifted from the sofa. The expression could be seen as one who just awoke from a blissful sleep. Dream hiccuped from a sob. "Nighty!" He exclaimed and ran over to him, flinging his arms around Nightmare. "Brother?" He questioned. "It's King Ciro! It's father!" 

Nightmare pulled Dream out of the embrace. "Whatever do you mean?" "Father wants to... To dispose of your crown! I overheard a mother and Sir Nickle!" He exclaimed. A fury of tears began anew. 

Nightmare looked downward and realised what this could mean for him and his brother. Both of their reputations could change. But not as much as Nightmare's. People hated him but never said or did anything because they knew that he was the crowned Prince. But now that his title has been stripped, the townspeople no longer have to be restrained. 

He put a hand to his temples. "Oh no... B-brother. Did you by any chance overhear anything about when the townspeople will hear of this?" He said, noticing a creeping cold feeling on his back. "N-no... But I suspect that they won't hear till you-... My coronation." Nightmare winced a little at the change. "Brother... I do hope you do not be stressed with your new workload as crowned Prince. If you need help, I'd be happy to."

Dream sniffed. "Nighty, please don't listen to those mean townspeople. They don't know who the real Nighty is." His face pouted a little as he tried on a determined and kingly expression. Nightmare snorted and tried to hide it with a cough.