As Gwen and Arthur moved off towards the wood in the distance, they began to outstrip the group, and Merlin found himself alone with Mordred.

"I hope Arthur knows how lucky he is to have you at his side," Mordred said.

"I honestly don't know," Merlin replied. "But it doesn't matter, because that isn't why I do this."

"I know," Mordred replied. "Then and now you have the same reasons for your actions. I just wanted to say that that was some very impressive magic back there, Emrys."

"Thanks," Merlin said awkwardly.

He really didn't know how to talk to Mordred; the man put him on edge. To Merlin, it felt like at any minute something could switch inside Mordred, and suddenly he'd be running off to Morgana to betray and kill Arthur. But in reality, Mordred had never done anything to lose Merlin's trust, while Merlin had betrayed him countless times. It was a strange situation.

They walked in silence after that, following behind the foraging Queen. Between the mushrooms Gwen found and the boar Arthur killed, they ate pretty well that night.

With a full stomach, Arthur was much more like himself, which helped the group as a whole relax as they lay under the stars beside the fire.

Mordred and Gwen fell asleep first. Arthur got up as if to join his wife, but instead of turning the way Merlin had expected, the King came to sit across from him.

"These last few days, more than anything, have taught me that we made the right decision to return magic to the land," Arthur said in a small but confident voice. "Without your magic being out in the open, I would never have been able to save Guinevere."

"Even if you didn't know about my magic," Merlin replied. "I still would have done all in my power to heal her."

"But that would have been impossible," Arthur answered. "Since you needed me there to get her into the water."

"I mean, it would have been a lot more work," Merlin chuckled. "Aging spells take a massive amount of energy, and that healing spell was no picnic either. Whether I could have managed both at once I can't say, but that wouldn't have stopped me from trying."

"You know Merlin, I really don't know what I did to deserve a friend like you," Arthur began with a smile. "But I am more grateful for it everyday."

Merlin didn't know how to express what Arthur's words meant to him, so he just smiled.

"Now about this tab," Arthur began in a more teasing tone. "What chances do I have of ever paying it off?"

"Slim to none," Merlin laughed.

Arthur chuckled as well. "As I thought," he said, then bid Merlin goodnight and turned in the direction of his sleeping wife.

Less than five minutes later, Merlin heard Arthur snoring. Rather than sleep himself Merlin decided to stay up and keep watch over his friends.

Only a few hours into his watch, Gwen stirred. Merlin assumed she'd go right back to sleep, but instead she got up and came over to sit beside him.

"Have you gotten any sleep at all?" Gwen asked. Merlin just shrugged. "Let me take the next watch. You need rest."

"I don't mind," Merlin said, trying to sound sure, but his huge yawn just seconds later gave him away.

"Really Merlin, it's the least I can do," Gwen smiled at him. "You saved me. From the bottom of my heart, thank you."

"That's what friends are for," Merlin said, trying to brush off the compliment. He really wasn't used to getting the credit.

"What you've done goes way beyond what a friend would do," Gwen said. Then she turned to look down at her hands, her voice nervous. "I remember everything I did while I was under Morgana's spell. I told her who you were, and then I tried to kill you."