t w e n t y ~ e i g h t

MATURE CONTENT
WARNING
(...no sex...lol)

Olivia

Two and a half years ago...

           "Olivia, you know I love you. We're just concerned about you," my mom says in that sickly sweet voice she uses when I'm being difficult. Her words not mine.

"I don't get why you're so concerned, I've never been anyone other than who I am now."

"We thought you'd grow out of this childish form of rebellion," my dad seethes, pacing the room and simultaneously boring a hole into the floor with his piping hot anger.

I stand from the perfect brown leather couch in my fathers perfect study filled with perfect decorations to fit a perfect CEO. "I've never wanted to work for the company and I've never wanted to marry another spoiled rich boy. Stop thinking buying me a Maserati or a fucking Porsche will convince me otherwise."

My dad stops, his hands pulling at his greying hair, "Fucking hell Olivia! Why can't you just appreciate this life of luxury we provided for you! You act like you're miserable, like we haven't given you everything you've ever asked for!"

"That's the thing dad! I never asked for any of it! I've said time and time again that I like to do things on my own but every fucking job I got you found a way to take it from me! Pay the manager to pin a made-up theft on me? Sure! And let's not forget about threatening every boy I ever attempted to date! Everything in this life comes with conditions, even your love...I just want to go away for college, get free from all of this and finally hold onto what little independence I have!" I end with tears streaming down my face and the air burning my throat as I pant, my legs weak.

My parents stare at me, wide eyed and speechless from shock. A loud creek echos from behind us and I turn around to see Orella, my oldest sister standing in the open doorway. Her dark brown hair perfectly styled like always, her perfect body dressed up in her usual pencil shaped dress. "Same argument every time and nothing ever changes. Why do you even bother?" she asks my mom.

"Save the superiority shit Orella. You felt the same way once too," I say, my fists clenching.

Her red pumps tap at the hardwood floor as she walks towards us, "Yes, when I was selfish and naïve." She stands next to dad, her arms crossed, "Dad has worked hard to provide for us and continue to keep our family company prospering. It's always been expected of the children of our family to marry people of high power standing to keep us strong. Me and Octavia could do it and we're happy and thriving. Why can't you grow up already?"

I swallow my anger, knowing that everything coming out of her mouth is a lie. They don't realize it but I'm not stupid and I know everything...every bullshit lie, every dirty secret they think they've hid from me all this time. Orella and Octavia aren't happy. They play the part well but they crave validation and love from our family so such a degree that they were willing to give up their own happiness for them. Well I'm not.

"I want to go to Canardi University in Maine," I say, filling my voice with as much confidence as I can.

My mom's eyes shoot to me, "Canardi is not a top Ivy League school. Absolutely not."

"I don't care. They offered me a full ride scholarship."

My dad scoffs, "You don't need one."