f i f t e e n

Olivia

"This isn't funny Maria! I'm seriously considering dropping out," I whine, smacking my forehead into the wall.

Maria lets out another one of her famous snorts, soothing her hand across my bare back but quickly retracts it. It's tank top weather and I'm starting to sweat from the heat and my anxiety. Maria whispers, "Rowan Vitali is a sexy piece of ass that not even you could resist. It's comforting and frankly, It's hilarious."

I snarl, playfully shoving her away, "Fuck you. I'm conflicted! I need your advice."

She looks out the tall window on the other side of the hallway as she ponders, her lips pursed. "He seems nice enough. A three month friend with benefits sounds fun."

I immediately shake my head, "No. I am not sabotaging this friendship with sex, no matter how attracted I am to him it isn't worth it."

"So that's all that's keeping you from taking advantage of that perfect ass? Friendship?"

I roll my eyes, looking away from her. "I'm not like you Maria. I can stay friends with men without falling into bed with them."

"O—kay. Ouch. But true," Maria smirks, moving to stand in front of me. "Look, you're drop-dead gorgeous and single. And so is he? Why not try for more than just sex? He obviously likes you too."

"Physical attraction doesn't equal romantic interest Maria. Plus I'm not single, not really. Me and Lucas are just...taking a break. We're still together, I—I still love him," I choke out, the words lacking truth even to my own ears.

Maria's brows raise with skepticism and she nods slowly. "Okay. If you're still holding out for that man to mature, there isn't anything I can say I guess," her eyes stray to the ground.

Lucas has been different lately. Even with his dislike of physical touch being my love language he was always caring and sweet when we were alone but the past couple months, the distance he creates in public seeped into our private life. I could deal with his moodiness and the way he treated me in front of his friends. I hated it but I could deal. Then his roughness flared so violently the last time we had sex I decided putting a pause to our relationship was for the best. He wasn't listening to me...it was like he tuned me out. He needs help, I'm worried about him. More than that though I'm pissed. But I don't want Maria to know what happened or how mad I am, it will just warrant unwanted goading from her.

Maria mutters, "I know you hate talking about your relationship with Lucas and about everything people say he does when you're not around but you have to realize there's some truth to their words...right?"

"And you have to understand my reluctance to believe such accusations without proof. I've seen the damage rumors do," I say, thinking back to my life at Black Valley Prep. I grit my teeth, looking into her eyes, "Have you ever seen him cheat on me? At a frat party? At The Landing?"

The Landing is a popular hang out in the city where Canardi students go to drink. The bar is always bustling with young college students looking for a hookup, friends playing pool, or couples huddled in a dark booth. Maria frequents there and I know Lucas and the other football players do as well.

Maria chews on her cheek, shaking her head, "No, I haven't. But at the same time it's not like I look for him in the crowd. And half the time I'm not there for long or I'm drunk, you know this."