43 - Miserable

Brady knocked on Matthew's door at ten-thirty on Saturday morning. Matthew had been asleep having stayed up too late writing. Once again, when he felt miserable, he immersed himself in his work. He felt some satisfaction when Astara and Roman pummeled the Garreth.

He missed Victoria, but he wasn't angry with her. It wasn't like what happened with Penelope. If there was blame, it should be on him. As hard as it was, he was giving her space. She had needed space before, but he needed her to come to the party. The OTL plan had become personal. Both he and Brady were putting a lot of faith in two special party guests.

Matthew couldn't understand why the Brady at his door looked so rested.

His friend stepped inside. "You look like crap. It's a big night."

"Maybe this is a mistake."

Brady shook his head. "She loves you. She's just scared."

"I saw Lily and practically begged her to drag Victoria tonight."

"Lily will do it. She's a sucker for romance."

"We're a pair. Why are you here? You're early for the festivities?"

"I came to support you. I owe you for what you did for me."

Matthew shook his head. "I got you pissed."

Brady smiled. "You also dragged me to the gym. We're going for a run. Then I'll buy you lunch."

Matthew sighed. "We can go eat at the house. You can meet my family."

"Go get ready, mate?"

Matthew smiled. "I'd rather be curled in bed with Victoria."

"I know."

Once they started their run, Matthew wanted to run faster and harder. He was pinning everything on the magic of the party. It would look magical. He and his dad strung fairy lights outside. The annual fireworks were at nine-thirty. Maybe it was fate that they planned the party for the same night.

He didn't know half the guests. His mum had been inviting people all week. She invited the reporter, who outed the earl. Even his dad had an old friend from when they lived in Portland.

Brady retrieved a bag from his car, and it looked like he planned to stay for the day.

"Are you moving in?"

"Nah, but I want to enjoy a summer day on The Point. I miss it."

Brady and Lily had a long history. Matthew said, "Chin up for both of us. We need to create our own love stories." He didn't quite convince himself.

Showered and dressed in shorts, Brady walked with him to the house on the beach. His mum was busy in the kitchen. She turned to them. "Good, you brought help. This was your idea, and there's a list to tick off."

"Mum, this is Brady. We were hoping for something to eat."

"Of course you were. You're in luck. There's food on the patio."

They found the rest of the family eating. Martha smiled and said, "Who's your handsome friend?"

"Brady, that's Martha and Millie and my dad."

Brady smiled, and Harry said, "Come sit. A friend of Matty's is always welcome."

Millie said, "Is Brady the one?" Brady looked at her. "You know who you're having the party for."

Matthew nodded. "He and Lily belong together. She's a romantic, and her parents' love story started at a party."

Millie was another romantic. "Did they dance?" Brady shrugged. "Dance with her."

Amazing Love Story (NG1)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara