▫️One Step Closer To Goodbye▫️

💞Trinity💞

"Trinny? Wake up." I'm gently being shaken awake and I open my eyes to see my dad looking down at me. "Hey, kiddo. Sorry to wake you, but it's lunch time." I nod and push myself up into a sitting position as the others moving around catches my attention.

I look to see them setting plates down on the lower deck. "Where's Kenji?" Dad hooks his thumb over his shoulder to the control cabin. I look through the shattered glass to see Kenji at the wheel. "Offered to take over for me. Just for a few hours. I'll relieve him in a little bit."

I nod and rub at my eyes to get rid of the heaviness. I get up and head down smiling when Yaz holds a cup out to me. "Thanks." I take it from her and drink the water. I sit down on the long padded couch as Sammy comes over. "Are we really off the island or is this a dream?"

"If it were a dream, I'm thinking we'd have a change of clothes," Yaz responds and I nod in agreement. I've been stuck in a tattered, former tank top, and mud caked jean shorts. Up side is that at least my skin is easy to clean though we've pretty much given up on that since we just end up getting dirty again.

"Ha! What do you mean? I've always wanted a signature look," Ben jokes and we all chuckle with amusement. Dad sits down with a slight smile on his face and it's nice to see him relaxing even if only a little bit. He's been so stoic lately that I almost forgot what his smile looks like.

I look back up at Kenji and see him staring through a telescope. The group continues to set out fruit and other provisions so I head up to tell Kenji to join us. I open the door as he stares ahead and smile at how serious he's being. While it's nice to see I also know that it's not in Kenji's nature to be so serious.

He's a goof and slightly immature so I'm wondering what's got him acting so strange. It started after Hawkes kidnapped Brooklynn and for once Darius and Kenji disagreed on how to proceed. "Hey, Kenj. It's lunchtime."

"No thanks. Can't leave my post till we're docked at Costa Rica. Told your dad I'd take over for him. Since he's the only adult I figured he should get some rest for once."

"That's very sweet, Kenji, but just cut the engine." I come over and wrap my hands around his forearm, leaning forward to try and catch his eye. He's being almost a little too serious. I pull gently, signalling him to follow. "Ten minutes won't sink us," I joke and he turns to look at me.

I could see some sadness in his eyes and I think I might know what's going on with him. We talked about it before, but now that we're off the island it's getting a lot more real. And it's a little scary. I mean once we get to Costa Rica we'll be that much closer to going our separate ways.

Who knows when we'll see each other next. "C'mon, rich boy, it might be our last meal together." He nods and cuts the engine before following me down to the deck. I sit down on the end and he sits down beside me, across from Darius who's enjoying his fruit.

I glance at Kenji's face and see him scowling at the dino nerd. I get that Darius seemed a little insensitive when it came to Brooklynn's safety, but he was just doing what Brook told him to. How long is he going to hold a grudge? I pick a plate up and beginning eating, lightly bumping my knee against Kenji's.

He grabs his own plate and starts eating. "And now, for the main course," I look over as Ben carries a plate over his head, coming around the opposite couch to stand near Sammy and Yaz. "The plumpest and juiciest..." The two girls gasp in excitement as Brooklynn moves to sit down beside Darius.

"Nublar grubs!" He lowers the plate and I make a noise of disgust when I see the wriggling worms. "Ugh!" Sammy exclaims as Yaz holds a hand over her mouth. "Ew!" Brooklynn shouts and Darius shakes his head. "Hand selected by yours truly."

Left Behind •Kenji Kon• Camp Cretaceousजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें