Chapter 5

Not a single word was uttered as we sat in the car. I couldn't take it.

"Jules, It's me. You don't have to be embarrassed."

A small sarcastic laugh escaped her lips, "No Soph. It's just my reaction. Sorry, it's complicated."

I didn't quite know what she meant, so I nodded. Minutes ticked by when finally she sighed.

"His name is Jeremy... Jeremy Lucus."

"And you like him? He likes you?" I concluded.

"No." Her icy tone silenced me.

"Oh okay."

Some part of me was seriously concerned that she was in fact not just angry with Angus but me as well.

"I'm not angry at you." She said, reading my thoughts, "I'm angry with myself."

"Whatever for?" I murmured.

"I don't want to like him but." She glanced at me and her expression dissolved into a smile.

It was a warm smile. A smile that was nearly as good as her brothers.

"I do," She stopped for a moment, contemplating whether to go on. "I've had this big crush on him since I was twelve."

"Awh Jules, that's cute."

She shook her head immediately.

"You'll understand in a moment."

As we walked along the wharf I tried to swallow my curiosity, but it wasn't until we stopped in front of a boat, reading marine rescue, that I got an idea of who this mystery guy was. I turned to ask Julie what she planned to do when she leapt into the rocking platform.

"What are you doing?" I gasped.

She lifted her hand to shush me and without thinking I obeyed. My eyes darted to the figure emerging from the bunker. What in the world was she doing? She anchored herself to the deck and watched, grinning as he walked over. He was whistling a familiar tune and was clearly oblivious to her presence when all of a sudden she lunged at him. His arms grasped his opponent and in one swift moment, he tossed her overboard.

"Julie!!!" I screamed.

My legs were already propelling me forward. The guy stared at me.

"How dare you!" I accused.

"Oh, shit." He muttered. "I'm so sorry, Jules!"

We both leaned over the rail and watched in dismay, as Julie surfaced. Her dress was sticking to her causing the material to look-see through. She didn't look happy... she looked furious.

Whoever this guy was, I was disgusted.

"Help her!" I exclaimed.

I expected him to reach for a ladder but instead of thinking, he dived into the water. The word idiot was on repeat as I searched for some sort of rope, but when I came back they were gone.

"Julie!!!" I screamed.

The fear came like a tidal wave, nearly knocking me over and somehow I scrambled to the other side of the deck. There was nothing, but my rippling reflection staring back at me. I felt helpless and suddenly I had a vision of my mother. Standing on that rock, smiling. I could see it. I had pictured the scene so often, it came instantly.

"No," I yelped.

My legs wobbled until I tripped, stumbling along the deck. Julie. Not Julie. I couldn't move. I couldn't get up. Every part of me was frozen. Just as the conclusion hit me that I had lost my bestest friend, a sound emerged from the water.