40. Shoes

After Noah woke Jack up, I walk through the hallway to my class

I'm not too late, but I'm sure Dane will already be there. Just as I head to the stairs, I hear a noise. I frown. No one's supposed to be in the hallways anymore. 

Maybe I should go check?

I walk in the direction of the noise, and see it's from the janitor's closet. Without noise, I open the door and peep through the small crack. Now I hear it's sobbing. Someone's crying in here!.

I turn my head and see the shoes of the person. Exactly the same as..

Dane?

Is he crying in here?

I frown. Should I go? I don't know. If I go, we probably will start talking and end up kissing, making me forgive him. I shake my head and close the door.

I let him cry. Happy with myself, I walk to class and sit down alone. That's a disadvantage, but oh well. I used to sit alone all the time, one time doesn't hurt.

The door slams open and I see it's Dane. He has his hood on his head, but if you look closely, you can tell he broke down. I gather my stuff to make his spot free, but he passes my -our- desk and sits down on the one behind me.

What?

I probably shouldn't, but I turn in my chair, to him. He was staring at his pencil, but then he looks at me with big, wide eyes. I frown and gesture to the chair next to me. He sighs and places his arms on his desk, crossed, then rests his head on them.

I can still see his face, and I see tears leave his eyes again. He's hiding them from me, so I turn back around and leave him alone. His loss. 

Tyson turns around from his desk in front of me, so does Nick, and frowns at the empty spot next to me. I point to Dane behind me, and Tyson waves at him. I roll my eyes, but as I turn around, I catch him staring at me.

He quickly looks down again and starts to mess with his pencil. I sigh, frustrated. If he's staring at me, he could have just sit down next to me, right?

Tyson smiles at me. 'It'll be okay,' he mouths and I nod, but sigh. Nick gives me a wink and gestures to Dane with his eyes. I quickly turn around again, so fast Dane didn't see it coming, and lock eyes with him.

He gulps, but stares at me, looking terrified. I roll my eyes and he sighs, looking down again. Eyes wide with annoyance, I turn around and focus on my work. He's so frustrating and doesn't make sense. Ugh.

Finally, the bell rings and I get up, glad I can leave this awkward class. But just as I'm out of the classroom, someone grabs my arm and pulls me behind the corner. Mad, I turn around to see who just gave me a bruise.

I fall silent when I see it's Dane. His eyes are watery, his hair is messy and he hides his hands in his pocket of the hoodie he's wearing. He looks vulnerable. And it almost makes me melt, but then I remember what Noah said and cross my arms over my chest.