Chapter 13

(Y/n) POV)

Coach: "Your new pass?"

Hyuga: "Why haven't you said anything before?"

Kuro-chin: "Only a few people can catch it. But in their current condition, Kagam-kun and (Y/n)-kun may be two of them."

"Last time you hit me in the face with it." I say pointedly at him.

Kuro-chin: "You just didn't catch it." I sigh as I rub my temples. "Only passing to Kagami and (Y/n) won't work until the end. We'll have to break free from Takao-kun and use normal passes as well."

Izuki: "But maybe we can do it. Besides, my eyes are cramping up."

Koganei: "What does that mean?" As we walked back onto the court I looked at Kaga-chin who was apologizing. I zoned out as I stood separated from the others on the court.

Ref: "Let the fourth quarter begin!"

"Kaga-chin, let me guard Mido-chin for a while." He looked at me surprised and went to object when I held my hand up. "Give your legs a break. Don't worry, I've had enough of losing to him. You ever heard of Tartarus, Kaga-chin?"

Kaga-chin: "I think so."

"Well let's just say that Mido-chin won't be scoring again." I laced my fingers together and pushed downwards. The satisfying cracking made me smirk as I stared down the glasses wearing broccoli sniper. 

Hyuga-senpai carried the ball down the court on our first offensive drive. I saw Takao guarding Kuro-chin as Captain passed the ball to Kaga-chin. He drove side by side with Mido-chin until Otsubo-senpai double teamed him. I let out a sigh of relief as I saw the ball coming towards Mitobe-senpai who made the catch and shoot mid range. I saw my victim holding his hand out to pass the ball. I had been screened by Takao and only just got passed him when I saw how close Kaga-chin was.

'I'm sorry you have to pick up the slack.' I ran forward and grabbed the blocked shot and quickly turned and dunked the ball. I walked over to Kaga-chin and whispered in his ear. "Save your last one. I'll keep Mido-chin guarded as long as I can." He nodded as we now switched are marks fully.

I had barely failed to stop Mido-chin this drive, but now it's over for him. We ran on offense and I watched Kuro-chin's Ignite Pass on my team instead of against me. The ball landed in Kaga-chin's hand who was staring down Mido-chin.

Mido-chin: "No you don't!"

'He's gonna use it here, isn't he?' He did indeed do it as he dunked over Mido-chin. I patted Kaga-chin's back and gave him a reassuring nod. He smirked as he gave me at thumbs up.

Kaga-chin: "Kuroko. It sucks, but the coach was right. I don't think I can jump anymore. I don't really want to say this, but the rest is up to you and Murasakibara."

Kuro-chin: "Okay."

"I've got your back."

🏀

Kuro-chin was able to utilize his team just like he always could. The only difference was Kaga-chin being limited. I scored a shot over whoever the fuck was guarding me.

Crowd: "There it is! Two more minutes! It's a one goal difference!"

Ref: "Shutoku High time out!"

Mido-chin: "I didn't think you would catch up this much."

Kuro-chin: "Midorima-kun, you once said dunks are shots that can only score two points. Your threes certainly are impressive. But I think inspiring dunks, like the one he just made, are worth more than the points they score."

'It's time to bring Mido-chin into hell.' I was guarding Mido-chin when I was screened from behind. The ball was passed to Mido-chin, but I trusted Kuro-chin so I began running. Hyuga-senpai grabbed the stolen ball and passed it up to me before I jumped and went for the dunk, only to have it slapped out of my hand. I let out a breath as we continued. They had once again passed Mido-chin the ball. "I know I can't stop your shot. So I just won't let the shot happen!" As Mido-chin was raising the ball to shoot I brought my hand up and slapped it upwards. The ball flew over and behind Mido-chin and I snagged it before I began running down the court. Mido-chin was hell bent on stopping me.

Hyuga: "Murasakibara!" I saw him and passed before he shot the open three. We were still down by two. The score was 80-82. Kuro-chin stole the ball from Takao, but it was knocked out of bounds before he could grab it.

Ref: "Seirin ball!" 15 seconds left. Otsubo-senpai had marked Captain and it was then did I realize what I had to do. I looked Izuki-senpai in the eye, relaying a silent message that he understood, showing it with a nod. Izuki-senpai dribbled the ball before passing it to me. Kaga-chin had set a screen for me, giving me space to work. I stood and inhaled deeply as I brought the ball up as I jumped into the air. I was a decent distance from the three point line but I held the ball with confidence. I felt the release and smiled as I watched it soar high in the air. 83-82, we were now in the lead.

"Kaga-chin." He looked my way. "Can you jump one more time?" He looked confused but then looked at Mido-chin who held the ball.

Kaga-chin: "Midorima!"

Mido-chin: "Let me tell you why I am determined to shoot from so far away. It is not simply because my shots are worth three points. It's not usual for comebacks to happen in the last seconds of a close game. Sometimes, they are the result of desperate shots. I will not leave it up to chance! That is why I end games with a buzzer beater. That is what it means to do everything humanly possible!" I had maneuvered behind Mido-chin as Kaga-chin guarded him. As Mido-chin went to shoot I prayed Kaga-chin would pull through. I saw him jump I in the air, but it was all for naught. "I believed in you. I believed that even at your limit, you would overcome it and jump. It was that moment when he reached to shoot again I stuck my hand out.

"This whole game I had been selfish. I haven't beaten you once. So I relied on Kaga-chin to do it for me. I finally stopped you. I believe in my teammate instead of giving him my burdens. I believe he would jump again." The ball left his hands and hit the ground with an extremely loud bang. "I gambled it all in order to finally win against you, but I didn't do it for me. I did it for Seirin." The buzzer sounded as I cheered. Kaga-chin and I smiled and high fived each other.

Ref: "83-82, Seirin!"

Teams: "Thank you very much!"

'I did it. Finally... I didn't do it alone... that's why I couldn't beat him before. I only thought that I had to beat him by myself. I'm truly a selfish prick.'