Part 45: Preparations

Start from the beginning

"He's more like a mean cat that hates everyone except for like two people," Sam replies.

"I know," she chuckles. "But he's so sweet underneath it all."

Sam reaches over and squeezes her in a big side hug.

"You've changed him. I can see it. He's a little softer."

"He's changed me too," she whispers. "I love him so much, Sam. He's gentle and he runs baths for me if I have a shitty day at work. I really can't thank you enough for setting up that profile for him."

"I've gotta say," Sam confesses. "I had no idea that the two of you would work out. He looked so scared in that coffee shop on your first date."

Shannon giggles.

"I know. I felt a little bad for him. He just seemed so lost. I had way more experience on that app than he did – mostly big letdowns or guys who wanted to just hook up. I have to admit, that when I first saw him, I was pretty sure he would just be another jerk I would have to deal with – a gorgeous jerk, but a jerk nonetheless." She sighs as they stand up to get off at their stop. "He proved me wrong, though."

"You know, I told him to play the field," Sam laughs. "I think he did that for about three dates. He said they all lasted about twenty minutes. One girl said she had to go to the bathroom and just never came back."

Shannon is angry on Bucky's behalf, even though she's positive that he would shrug it off and tell her that it was just the clarification he needed to arrange a second date with her.

"How could someone possibly do that to him?" She's almost pushed to the brink of tears. "You know, he brought me flowers for like eight dates in a row? It was either a full bouquet or a single rose. He said he was old fashioned."

Sam grins.

"That sounds like Bucky. Steve told me he used to be the biggest flirt in Brooklyn. I think when I set up his dating profile, I was trying to give him some of that back, you know? The way he used to be. I think, though, that what he needed to get back to that was to meet you."

"Sam, I'm not some magical girl that can fix everything," she chastises. "Even I know he's got a long way to go. Eighty years of trauma doesn't just disappear because he's getting laid."

Sam chuckles and shakes his head.

"No, I know that. His therapy helps... I think."

"He mostly just bitches about it."

"He bitches about everything," Sam replies. "But, Shannon, he loves you. I've never seen him care so much about someone other than Steve."

Bucky has told her more about his relationship with Steve. It's just small details that leak out of his mouth as they lie in bed, cuddling each other and kissing as they come down from their carnal highs. He becomes incredibly honest after sex, like it's some kind of truth serum. She can ask him anything and she's sure to get the real answer. Mostly, he's just told her that their second kiss resulted from a wrestling match where Bucky pinned Steve to the floor and Steve lifted his head to sneak a soft peck on the corner of Bucky's mouth. It quickly turned into a full-blown makeout session, according to Bucky. She listened to him talk about it with the biggest, dumbest smile on her face. There was no jealousy on her part. He just looked so smitten and happy talking about his first real love. His eyes lit up. Who would she be to take that away from him?

It makes her happy to know that he had Steve for as long as he did – and that he still does. Even in memories. They make him complete.

He's cuddly after sex, too, like her own personal teddy bear. She loves the way he holds her and nibbles at her neck and jaw like he still can't get enough of her. Not even Will could make her feel that special or wanted, and God knows he tried. The only other person who came close was Candice. They used to lay in Shannon's bed for hours with only a sheet draped over them. They talked about everything. Art, music, movies they liked, movies they hated, what their dreams and goals were. Being with Bucky feels very much the same to Shannon. She can tell him anything and he just listens... and then she hears that very gravelly grunt of approval followed by a comment or a full-blown story, depending on how exhausted he is. She loves to listen to him talk. His voice is like velvet, especially when it gets low and smoky in her ear.