Part 42: Carry You

Author's Note: More smut!

"Bucky, you're freaking me out," Sam mumbles as he pulls up to a red light. "You've got to talk to me, man."

"I'm not doing anything."

"Yes, you are. You're doing that brooding stare thing that you do when you're pissed off."

"I'm fine, Sam. I'm just wondering what we're going to walk into when we get to Shannon's place."

Sam shrugs.

"Hopefully a happy woman."

Bucky is quiet. He's not so sure. She didn't sound angry on the phone, but she didn't sound very happy either. His stomach is in knots for the rest of the ride, but he hides it by staring out the window. Sam keeps looking over at him and it makes him furious. Bucky thought the Winter Soldier was gone, but 80 years of conditioning doesn't just disappear. It's woven into bone, muscle, and instinct. If he were alone with Will today, Will would no longer exist. On the one hand, Bucky wants to protect Shannon. He'd throw a few punches for her, but the desire to obliterate this man and crush him into dust is concerning. He doesn't know how to reconcile it other than his intense love and devotion for Shannon.

The drive to Brooklyn feels like it takes hours. Sam finally breaks the tension about halfway through – probably because he can't take the tension in the cab any longer.

"She told me you moved into her place."

"Yeah," Bucky replies. "It's a trial run."

"A trial run?" Sam asks as they approach the bridge.

"Yeah, a trial run."

Sam scoffs.

"You two are delusional, do you know that?"

"I really think that you and Dr. Raynor should hang out."

Sam chuckles.

"I'm serious, dude. If you're going to move in with a woman, you've gotta just jump in."

"It was her idea, not mine."

"What do you mean?" Sam asks. "She doesn't seem like the type of girl who's afraid of commitment – I mean, she's dating you, and no offense, man, but you're a lot of work."

"Thanks," Bucky replies flatly.

Sam chuckles.

"I'm joking, Buck. A week ago, you could smile and take a joke. What's going on?"

"Nothing," Bucky replies. He's trying to work out what they're going to tell Shannon. "She moved too fast with Will or Kyle or whoever the hell he is and look what it got her."

"If you wanna look on the bright side, it got her you."

"You're too charming for your own good, Sam," Bucky mumbles.

"I know."

They pull into Shannon's parking garage and Sam kills the engine. He seems to know exactly what Bucky is thinking and puts a hand on his shoulder.

"We tell her the truth. Don't worry about the rest of it."

Bucky nods, but before they can get out of the truck, Shannon is already banging on Bucky's window. He jumps and his eyes go wide. She must have been waiting for them. She looks furious. He grimaces and tries to smile, knowing it looks pathetic. Shannon motions for him to get out of the cab. Bucky sighs and Sam laughs. They both exit the vehicle and are confronted with the image of Shannon with her fists balled up at her sides, knuckles white. Her face is pink and her eyes are focused and only slightly terrifying. He's seen her angry, but never at him, and definitely not like this.