Part 33: Future Echoes

"Angle your head to the right!" Bucky laughs as he grabs another piece of popcorn out of the bowl that they were sharing. What was supposed to be a romantic evening has turned into them ordering almost everything on the room service menu and trying to toss tiny pieces of food into each other's mouths. They're in their fancy white hotel robes, fresh from the shower and, currently, they're making a mess everywhere. Bucky hasn't laughed this hard in a long time. It's the way he used to laugh when he was young. Shannon has tears streaming down her face from laughing so hard. The beer and champagne they ordered may have helped with that, but Bucky doesn't really care.

"Get one in already!" Shannon shouts from the other side of the room. "I thought you were a sniper!"

He rolls his eyes.

"Shannon, it's a piece of popcorn, not a bullet. Just tilt your head!"

"I did! You've lost 25 popcorn kernels behind me! You're like 3 feet away from me!"

Bucky's shoulders shake with laughter as he tries to re-aim. The faces she's pulling aren't helping.

"Trust me, will you?!"

She tilts her head left and opens her mouth. Bucky closes one eye and aims, tossing the popcorn kernel in the air. Shannon catches it on her tongue and throws her hands up.

"WE DID IT!"

She runs over to him and jumps on the bed, tackling him into the mattress. Bucky laughs and pulls her into a tight hug. She kisses up and down his jawline. Bucky purrs softly.

"I like this no stubble thing you've got going on."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. I mean, you could have a big Rasputin beard and I'd still think you were the most gorgeous man I've ever seen, but I like this a lot."

"I think you're biased," Bucky teases.

"I am not!" She cackles as she grabs a slice of pizza and takes a bite. "You looked so hot in that outfit. Just... goosh..."

Bucky arches an eyebrow.

"Goosh?"

Shannon points between her legs and he laughs as he shakes his head.

"That's a pretty crude way of describing it."

"I know," she snickers like a teenager. "I was wondering how you'd react."

"You're one to talk about looks, you know," he mumbles as he reaches over and grabs his beer. "You looked incredible in that bar."

"That hair wasn't easy," Shannon mumbles. "I don't know how women did that every day."

"It wasn't every day," Bucky replies.

"Really?"

"Nah. Most of the girls I dated had short hair or they'd put their hair up in scarves. Especially in the summer, or if they worked in the factories."

"Huh. I guess I always thought that women were highly manicured and made up all the time," she replies.

"Nah." Bucky grins. "You're beautiful with and without all the makeup and hair."

She smiles. They ordered far too much. Pizza, cake, brownies, pasta, tiny sandwiches. They both devour it with ferocity as Shannon flips through the television to settle on a movie. She settles on some weird horror movie about a guy who chases people with a chainsaw. There's a lot of screaming and swearing. Bucky frowns.

"What the hell is this?"

"Texas Chainsaw Massacre."

"You like this stuff?"