Part 30: Demons

They lay entwined for a long time. Bucky can hear the crickets chirping outside and he watches the stars through the back window in the loft. It reminds him of being in Brooklyn, lying on his bedroom floor with Steve, listening to records while both of them read quietly. Bucky used to smoke the cigarettes he stole from his mother's purse. Steve would always complain about the smell and open a window while simultaneously threatening to tell Winnifred.

There are days when he really misses it, or just the feeling of sitting in a smoke-filled bar with a bunch of other soldiers as they clink whiskey glasses and play cards. God, he'd kill for a cigarette right now — not literally, but he finds himself itching at the memory, fingers jumping slightly at the thought of a cigarette dangling between them. He started chain-smoking during the war, mostly to keep himself from gulping down whiskey whenever he could. Cigarettes were also just easier to get. Everyone had them in the trenches. When he was under HYDRA's control, he stole them on missions, going through a pack or two when he was holed up in a safehouse, pacing the floor, sleepless and waiting for the next kill.

"Do you have any cigarettes?" He asks.

He's never actually seen her smoke or even smelled it on her, but he takes a chance anyway. She's got secrets.

Shannon laughs.

"What?"

"Cigarettes."

She arches an eyebrow.

"You smoke?"

"Used to. Back in the old days."

She smirks.

"I have a joint."

"That'll work."

"Kansas must really be getting to you, huh?" She teases as she stands up.

She looks gorgeous, especially with her ass hanging out of her garter belt. Her long hair flows down her back, resting just below her shoulder blades. She grabs a box on a small shelf and opens it, popping the joint between her plump pink lips and lighting it as she walks toward him. It's... insanely hot.

Bucky laughs.

"Nah, just something to take the edge off. Unless you have pizza hidden somewhere around here."

"If I did, I doubt either of us would want to eat it," she replies as she lies back down and takes a long pull on it. "Just this."

She hands it to him.

"You said this stuff doesn't work on you, right?"

"That's right, but I'm kind of itching to inhale something."

She laughs.

"I think I'm changing you, Bucky Barnes."

"At this point, I don't think that's a bad thing."

He takes a puff and holds it in his lungs the way he's seen Shannon do it. She watches him as smoke seeps out from between his lips in tiny ribbons and leans over, pressing her mouth against his.

"Open your mouth," she whispers. "And keep it open."

Bucky obeys. It's hard not to when an almost entirely naked woman is looming over you. Shannon presses her lips to his, making a soft seal. He hears her inhale and she gives him a gentle kiss on his top lip as she pulls back and blows the plume of smoke into the air.

"What is that?" He asks, laughing.

"That is called shotgunning."

"I learn new things every day."