Part 32: Night Out

Start from the beginning

"You're a tease, Bucky Barnes."

In one swift motion, he picks her up by her legs and hauls her over his shoulder. Shannon squeals as he carries her back to the bonfire. Janice and George look over their chairs while Sam shakes his head.

"She's out of control," Bucky jokes.

"I am not!" Shannon yelps, laughing helplessly against him.

Janice stares at him with tears pooling in her eyes, as though she's reliving something; as though nobody has ever been like this with her daughter before. Bucky gulps and immediately wants to put Shannon back down on the ground, but Janice's smile isn't sad - it's reminiscent and hopeful. The tears are joyful. Bucky sits down next to Janice after plunking Shannon down onto her seat next to Sam. He shows her some videos on his phone and they both start laughing hysterically. Just before Bucky can ask them what they're giggling about, Janice reaches out to squeeze his metal hand without hesitation. She smiles at him. He smiles back and sips at his beer as he watches Sam and Shannon continue to giggle. Sam shows him some dumb video of some cat falling off of a dresser. Bucky doesn't really get it. Does Sam know this cat? He likes watching them laugh, though.

After a while, Janice and George head inside, giving each of them a big hug. George leans in to whisper in Bucky's ear.

"You be good to my little girl."

Bucky reaches out and grasps his hand, shaking it firmly.

"Always, sir."

"You're a good man, James."

"Thank you, George."

He pats Bucky on the shoulder.

"I have a couple of cars that need fixing - maybe next week you, Sam, and myself can do that?"

"I'd love to," Bucky replies.

"Ditto," Sam echoes.

Bucky looks up and they smile at each other. They get along best when they're working toward a common goal - whether that's beating someone up or fixing a car. He and Bucky shake hands and Sam pulls him in for a small hug before he disappears into the house with Janice and George. Shannon rolls her head and looks over at Bucky with sleepy, hooded eyes.

"Hi," she purrs.

Bucky laughs and shakes his head.

"Hi, sweetheart."

"You excited for tomorrow?" She asks, rolling onto her side.

"Depends on what you have in store for me."

Shannon giggles.

"Don't worry. It's all good stuff."

He raises an eyebrow.

"I thought you were just getting dressed up."

She winces and begins to laugh, almost hysterically.

"I don't want to ruin any surprises."

Bucky pushes himself out of his chair and straddles her. It collapses beneath their weight and they both begin to laugh and roll around in the grass. He kisses her like it's the first time he's ever felt her lips on his. She groans softly and runs her hands through his hair. Their mouths are desperate and messy, thrashing against each other. She tastes like whiskey and barbecue sauce, but he doesn't hate it. As they devour each other, Bucky hears panting next to his ear. They break the kiss and find Ace and Alpine sitting next to them, staring. Shannon laughs, pressing her forehead to Bucky's.

"I think they want dinner and bed."

"I was having so much fun, though," Bucky groans.

Shannon drums lightly on his chest.