Part 28: Blood//Water

Start from the beginning

"Yep!" George chirps. "Been here almost my entire life — except when I was serving in Vietnam."

"Shannon said you did two tours?"

"That's right."

Bucky is quiet for a moment.

"Do you miss it?"

He doesn't really know why he asks. There are days when he misses combat - the thrill, the sound of the blood roaring in his ears. He doesn't miss being brainwashed, but one of the reasons why he joined the army was to find something to do that would make his adrenaline rush — and if he got to fight for his country in the same breath, all the better.

George looks up at him, considering the question and takes a sip of his coffee.

"Sometimes. My mind was much clearer back then." He smiles. "Don't waste your youth, son. It disappears faster than you'd think."

Bucky wants to laugh, to tell him the truth. He feels the same kind of comfort around George that he feels around Yori. George understands what it's like - on some level. Bucky nods.

"I won't, sir. I promise."

"Oh, you don't have to call me sir. I'm not your sergeant."

"Old habit, sir — I mean... George."

George smirks and puts his paper down. He takes his glasses off and rests them beside him.

"You can call me dad if you want. Janice mentioned that your parents have passed."

Bucky nods.

"If you need us," George replies. "We're always here."

Why is everyone being so nice to him? He's not used to this.

"Thank you," Bucky whispers. "You two should come out to Brooklyn some time."

"That'd be nice."

"What would be nice?" Janice asks as she floats into the kitchen fully dressed. Bucky suddenly feels incredibly out of place in his sweats and a t-shirt. She pats him on his metal arm. "Morning, Bucky."

"Morning. I was just saying that it would be nice for the both of you to come and visit us in Brooklyn."

"We were there last year! We went all over New York with Shannon and took that beautiful picture in Central Park!" Janice replies.

"No, we didn't," George argues.

Janice grabs the picture off of the fridge and puts it down on the table in front of him.

"Yes, we were, dear. Don't you remember?"

He picks it up and holds it close, squinting. Bucky can see the struggle to remember. He can relate in some small way. He knows what it's like to be terrified of your own memories - of losing them, keeping them, and wanting some of them to disappear completely. After a few minutes, George shrugs. Bucky sees defeat in his face. He clears his throat.

"I guess so."

Janice tacks the photo back up on the fridge. Bucky smiles at her.

"There's coffee, Janice."

"Oh, aren't you a doll!" She gushes, pinching his cheek lightly as she passes. "I'm going to start breakfast in about half an hour."

They hear a shriek and laughter from upstairs followed by apologies and more laughter. Sam and Shannon come stumbling down the steps, leaning on each other, doubled over and red in the face. Bucky grins.

"What happened?"

"Sam heard me humming as I walked by his room and decided to scare the shit out of me," Shannon chuckles.