Chapter 9: Discovered Something

Kushida's POV

The last special exam is coming up, most of the class has already decided on their matches, I am still undecided.

I have nothing I can excel at but I am good at several activities, I will choose one that is advantageous to me.

It's break time, many go out to eat, I stay in the classroom. After that day what happened with Hirata and the kiss I gave him on the cheek, neither of us talked to each other.

Maybe I shouldn't have kissed him, now we are more distant than before...

Out of curiosity I turn my head to see Ayanokouji, and there he is, looking at me, I quickly turn around looking straight ahead.

I hope he didn't see me but it's impossible, because if he was looking at me he realized when I turned to see him.

At least I hope he didn't notice my face that turned all red, and hoped to turn my face in time.

"Huh? Kushida-san, is something wrong with you?"

Karuizawa Kei, who was passing nearby, noticed my flushed face.

Kushida: "Don't worry Karuizawa-san, it's nothing. I'm fine."

Karuizawa: "Are you sure? Your face is red, you should go to the infirmary."

Kushida: "I'll go after school, thanks for your concern."

With this lie she believed me and continued on her way. I was watching her out of the corner of my eye to make sure she left, but after a step she stood there looking back towards Ayanokouji.

I could see her look, something was bothering her and then I heard a small sound from her mouth.

Karuizawa: "Tch!"

Yeah, she definitely got upset about something, does she like him.... No, it can't be... but now several things that happened in which Karuizawa-san was involved come to my mind.

Like the test where I challenged Horikita and lost, or when I saw her very close with Ayanokouji on the school trip to the mountain.

I connected the things together, then Karuizawa-san had been helping Ayanokouji for a long time, and if so she really knows him and if they are.... No!

Before I draw any more conclusions, I must ask Ayanokouji to confirm my suspicions. At the end of today's class, I will go to Ayanokouji to check what's going on. I packed my things and went out.

I will wait for him on the steps of the school building.

Minutes went by, many students left, but Ayanokouji still didn't come out. I waited a little longer but nothing, apparently they all left. I didn't see him come out.

I decided to go back to our classroom, but before I got there I heard his voice. He still hasn't left, as I get closer I heard another voice, this one with someone else.

I approached the door to listen to their conversation.

Karuizawa: "Kiyotaka, is there someone... Do you like?"

Ayanokouji: "I don't know, I understand why you wanted me to stay after school to chat about this, but since we're here do you need anything about the upcoming exam?"

Karuizawa: "Partly yes, I still haven't decided my confrontation and that makes me insecure."

Ayanokouji: "Don't worry Kei, pick an easy confrontation. If anything happens, remember, I will protect you."

Karuizawa: "I trust you Kiyotaka."

Kiyotaka, Kei..., they don't just call each other by their first name, they speak very confidently and naturally too!

Listening to their conversation, I felt something squeezing inside me, tears started to come out.

Sadness flooded me, I left that place as fast as I could.