Hazel

I anxiously look at the clock.

Just one full minute. One and it'll determine my whole future...

Adam seems to pace behind me as I anxiously wait. He lets out a breath and says, "Okay." He puts his hands on the edge of the table, inches away from me. His eyes shine with nerves among his sweet eyes. "Honey," he softly says. "Whatever happens I—"

"Sh-sh-sh!" I nearly jump out of my seat as the results come in. I stand by the telephone; ready to call Madds. Adam runs to peek over my shoulder and we both gasp.

And just like that, the world stops.

"I passed the exam!"

Before I know it, Adam picks me up and does a little turn as happiness that makes us both laugh.

"I knew it!" he says with a wide smile. "I knew it! You're gonna be an excellent doctor and—"

"Oh! I have to tell Madds!" Once again I interrupt him as I turn back to the phone and quickly dial Mateo's house number. I lean on the small fridge we have in our apartment as I wait for Madds to respond.

"Oui?"

I can't help but do a small squeal. "I passed the exam! I'm officially in my second year of internship with the Gifted program and I got into the local medical school!"

I hear Madds do a soft laugh and footsteps walking away. Little Matthew must be asleep as she does a slight squeal. "I'm so happy for you! I knew it!"

"Oh, Madds," I say when my tensed body finally relaxes as I fall on the couch. "I can't believe it. After all these months."

"You deserve this, Hazel. Have you told my brother?"

I look up as I hear Adam gasp with wide eyes. My smile is wider as I hear him say, "I'm an official intern! Woohoo! That's what I'm talking about, baby!"

"Your brother just got his test results back, too!"

Madds does a soft scoff. "I was actually doubting whether he'll pass. It sounds like he did."

"Is that Madeline?" Adam says as he comes up to me and gives my cheek a quick kiss. His eyes are wild and shining brighter than ever as I nod. "Madeline!" he playfully says to my phone. "I told you I'd pass! You owe me twenty bucks!"

Madds is quiet but I know that she's smiling. I give Adam a kiss until his eyes widen at an idea and says, "You know what this means?!"

"Wine?" I playfully say.

Adam chuckles as he says, "Yes, but after some delicious Tarte Tatin!" I watch him happily walk towards the kitchen and disappear.

"Oh," Madds says. "I heard that. Please keep an eye on him when he tries to cute the apples. Trust me. All the times he does Tarte Tatin we end up at the hospital."

"Don't worry, mom," I playfully say. "We'll be fine."

I hear a slight sound of a baby coo and I know Madds will say goodbye now as she does a soft chuckle. "Alright, doctor. Don't get too drunk."

"I thought I would never hear that from you," I say with a soft smile.

I hear a small sigh as I assume Madds is picking up Matthew. "Well. There are some things in life that change for the better. Alright, Hazel. Have fun. Congratulations, doctor."

With a happy sigh, I hang up and let my smile widen. I hear him hum a happy tune in the kitchen and I close my eyes to this adrenaline running through my system.

Everything is going to be okay. It's only a small part of the story we will tell someday...

"Hey, love! Why don't you help me out here?"

I quickly get up and say, "Let me cut the apples for you!"

This french dessert took longer than I thought. But according to Adam, it's a very popular dessert for special occasions. While we waited for it to get golden in the oven, Adam did a FaceTime with his parents so we can tell them the big news. My heart flew when they cheered for me. I'm still learning French, but I could understand some of the things they tried telling me in English. They said they were planning on coming around the holidays. I couldn't wait to see them and feel Mrs. LaRue's warmth again.

I would have called my mother but ever since I left her that voicemail, I have not heard of her. It's been six months now and I still wonder if she ever heard all the words my heart has been wanting to yell at her for years.

I don't let her bring me down. It's what has got me here. Celebrating with a library boy and tasting the most delicious treat I've ever had. Now, we sit back with our stomachs at ease and a cup of wine. I observe its dark red color. Its liquidy substance swirls inside this fancy cup as I move it. I let out a soft sigh as my mind slowly turns blank for a moment.

"Hey."

I'm back to reality as I look into his dark blue eyes. He gives me a soft smile that makes my heart warm.

"Hey," I say with a small smile. "I never thought I'd be here."

"I did," he softly says. "I always knew the potential within you. You have a beautiful mind, Hazel."

I still look away every time he makes me blush. I can't help but smile a little wider as I say, "I wouldn't have done it without you. Without Madds. Even Mateo. He's like a big brother for me."

Adam takes my hand on the table and gives it a tender squeeze. His expression softens and gestures his cup at me. "To the future."

I clink my cup with his and softly say, "To our future..."