22 | THE BARRIER

ღ

LAUDON'S POV

Hell no longer feels like the home that Laudon once knew.

Still reeling from the bomb that Myrlande dropped on him several days ago, Laudon has been stuck on the defensive. Who is left for him to trust?

His father has been exposed for being a liar. One of his closest companions, Myrlande, betrayed him by purposely keeping life changing information from him. And Zul, guardian and part-time parent, wholeheartedly believes that Laudon has lost his mind. Has he? Some days it certainly feels like it.

Laudon has been completely knocked off balance. All that he knew about himself had been a lie. He is no demon, only half. His mother never abandoned him; she is alive, Laudon believes, and Lucifer knows where she is. Then there is Maggie Brumfield, the girl responsible for setting all this into motion.

Nothing happens by accident. Laudon was meant to cross paths with Maggie for a reason. They were meant to be in each other's lives for a reason. If it is the last thing he ever does, Laudon will find out what that reason is.

"What now?" Laudon calls out after someone knocks at his office door. He looks up from a book of spells and frowns upon seeing Zul enter. "I could have gone a few more days without seeing your face," Laudon mutters. He slams the book shut before meeting Zul's remorseful gaze. "What do you want from me, Zul? It'd better be important."

Zul bows before speaking. "I thought it would be best to give you time to cool off before apologizing for the way that I spoke to you when we were last together. Please forgive me for my insolence."

Laudon rolls his eyes, leaning back in his seat. "I hope you've been productive since then, because a little birdy told me you left Hell the other day, disappeared for hours. You rarely do business outside of this shithole, so what were you up to?"

"I know you have been searching desperately for your father," Zul says. "So I took it upon myself to speak with the demons that have been doing his bidding on Edreial."

"I've already done that."

"I am aware, but I thought a new lead might appear since it had been a while when you had initially asked around. Unfortunately, I had no luck in acquiring any new news."

"My father will not be found unless he is ready to be found," Laudon says. "I'm done wasting time chasing after his ghost. I don't need him when his office is just done the hall."

Zul furrows his brows. "Are you suggesting...?"

"Yes. I'm going to break into my father's office." Laudon grins, the idea having come to him abruptly. He stands, straightens out his clothes, and then heads for the door. "I'm going to go through his belongings and find out what other secrets he's been hiding. I can't imagine anything else being more disturbing than my being a halfling."