She quickly wore her shoes, not bothering to look for Tom. Just because they were at the same group of friends it didn't mean that she actually talked to him. No matter how much she tried. She was feeling embarrassed to even be in the same room as him, because he knew how she felt for him. And he hadn't done anything wrong, there was just a miscommunication between them and now Amber didn't even want to look at him. 

But as she was about to get up Tom appeared. He looked like he had just woken up too. "Hey, you're up."

"Why did no one wake me up?" Amber asked and stayed still for a moment on the couch. 

"I told them not to." Tom explained. "But then I also fell asleep and I guess it got a little too late. Sorry." He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "You know, I actually hoped that if it was just the two of us you'd actually talk to me."

"I talk to you." Amber huffed.

"Can I confess something?" He asked but Amber just looked at him with her eyes a little bit more wide than before. "It was a date. But I chickened out and I asked an old friend to tag along, because I..." Amber just stared at him with a poker face, not letting her true feelings be showed. "I like you, I liked you since the moment I met you. But you're also my best friend and I didn't want to screw that up, which I know that I did."

"I-I" Amber stuttered not sure what to say, but then her phone went off again and she knew she had to return home. "I gotta go. We will talk later." She left and ran home, freaked out because of what Tom had said and because she knew that she was in trouble.

She unlocked the door, not bothering to be quiet, she expected some yelling, and since Natalie hadn't been in a good mood since she broke up with Mark, she knew it could be just slightly worse than it should be. But she had no idea what actual mood her mother was at that night after everything that had happened.

"Do you know what time it is?" Natalie was pacing back and forth behind the door and once she saw her daughter entering with an apologetic look on her face she stay still with her arms crossed on her check.

"I know, I am so sorry. But the movie was so boring and I fell asleep on the couch and no one thought to wake me up and then I did at some point and only Tom was there and it was super awkward you know-"

"I don't care Amber." Natalie interrupted her. "You just keep doing whatever you want, whenever you want and you somehow think that it's okay. You're out all the time doing God knows what and I am supposed to roll with it because what? Because I want you to feel free?"

"What came into you?" Amber asked trying to keep her tone down. "I was just across the street. I didn't do anything."

"Yeah maybe not tonight. But that stops now! I can't keep losing the few hours I have to sleep because of you."

"Sorry I'm an inconvenient in your life." Amber yelled.

Natalie closed her eyes and took a breath to calm herself down. "I didn't say that." 

"Okay whatever, you're obviously not okay about something, but I am not going to sit here so you can let your anger out on me." Amber went to walk away.

"Don't you dare walk away Amber."

"No, I am going to bed, when my mother's back let me know." And with that the teenager ran to her room and locked herself inside realising how easily a simple night can turn into... that.