"If this is the ineffective medicine, I can't wait to see tonight's dose," she admits with raised brows.

"She looks so much better," I whisper while gently brushing Jess' hair away from her forehead.

"The way Willow explained what she's doing is kind of like scrubbing organs... before she'd focus on a spot and by the time she got it cleared off, moved to the next, and finished there, the first would be failing again."

I frown listening to her recollection, though it makes sense it also sounds so... hopeless.

"And now?" I question hoping for a but.

"The poultice is doing its job and drawing back the toxin. They've replaced it three times already, each time it's gone from green to black." Chloe shudders, no doubt seeing it again in her mind.

"So Willow can spend less time going over the areas she has already and focus on new ones," she clarifies. "She's getting better."

"And our pups?" I ask, feeling guilty for putting them second.

"Strong," she assures me with a wistful smile. I don't miss how her hand drops to her own swelling belly.

My mood begins to falter as I think back to shopping and lunch with her and Jude... How perfect our day was until it all went to shit. For a few hours I wasn't a king, I was just a proud mate, shopping with the love of my life for our expanding family, the kind of stuff I've dreamt of.

"There will be plenty of good times ahead," Chloe says, no doubt picking up on my mood.

Before I can explain, a soft knock sounds on the door. Derek opens it for Mack and follows her in. Both are freshly showered, though I don't miss the bruised knuckles my brother sports.

"I think I'll drag this one to bed for a few hours before he ends up like a pretzel." Chloe gently shakes Jude awake and, despite his protests, she drags the groggy man away.

Mack drifts over to Willow while my brother drops down into the newly vacated seat. He says nothing but his brows are tightly knit and eyes troubled.

"What have you found out?" I finally ask.

"Nothing we didn't already know..." he trails off, lost in thought. The way he sits with his chin resting on his knuckles tells me there's more.

"Spill it," I grumble.

"He's fucking toying with us," Derek spits bitterly. "We still don't know exactly who he is nor what he's really after..."

"That's kind of your thing," I mutter, arching a brow. "You don't strike me as having gone soft."

"Maybe compared to you," he bites back. "I haven't killed him yet but I've pushed his limits... the fucker grunts and bares it like-"

Derek's eyes snap wide like he's suddenly been struck by lightning. I can see him working through the ideas and suddenly he shakes his head.

"The fucker is warded," he announces to Mack.

She furrows her brows and shakes her head. "No, we checked that. He's clear."

"Think about it," Derek presses on. "It's the only thing that makes sense."

"But we already looked-"

"Maybe we need a different perspective?" Derek cuts in, shifting his stormy gaze back to me. "What about Mira?"

"Mira?" I parrot back feeling my hackles rise.

"W-what about me?" Mira practically squeaks from the doorway. Her colour is draining by the instant, eyes wide as she has a death grip on the doorknob.