Chapter 9: Our Night

"It's funny how time changes things so much. This was just a hangout place for us but now it's a dignified restaurant."

"It is amusing."

"The last time we ate here was... When I turn 23."

"Your 18th birthday."

That took you by surprise. You were certain that your 23rd birthday was the last time you guys went here.

"It was my 23rd! I remember because Makino had to drag Shanks drunk ass back to their house," you defended as you picked up the menu.

Realization dawns on Mihawk on what you're talking about and he just chuckles. "I thought you meant, just the both of us. Kind of unfair that you're thinking of other people at OUR date, don't you think?" 

That made you blush and cough out the saliva that caught up in your throat. 

"My 18th birthday, you..."

"I asked Owner Zeff to lend me the whole place and ate here at -"

"midnight because you had Shanks tell me you had an emergency but then I find myself here with minimum decorations because you don't actually have a style. I remember~."

You both laughed at your statement before Patty came to take your order. "You guys are more relaxed than I thought."

"Hey Pats, How have you been?" You asked with a smile.

While you catch up with your waiter, Patty (because of course, Sanji tends to ruin the lovers' mood), Mihawk couldn't help but look at you.

The last time the both of you went here just the two of you was your 18th birthday when at midnight. It was because he know that the Newgate's would throw a huge party for your debut. He wanted to be the first one to celebrate it... with you... alone. You had a lot of fun that day even if you'd meet him later at the party. He had a rose, he gave it to you and you dance. He wanted to be the first to share your official slow dance with. 

That was also the day that he chose to confess but... you then told him that after graduation, you're heading to Paris, France for your college education. Suddenly, he bit his confession back down. 

Your laugh turns back his time to the present. He shouldn't dwell in the past for too long, he might miss you again when you're just right in front of him.

"How about you Hawk-Eyes?" Patty asked after he jotted down your order for the evening. He gave his order and Patty made a few comments before walking away. There he found Sanji crying because you were on a date with his Spanish teacher. "Oh quit your whining, Sanji!"

"Y/N..." Mihawk called and you look at him from looking at the whole restaurant.

"Yes?"

"How was France for you? We didn't get to catch up much, earlier." Just how can the words swell up inside his throat so much like this? He couldn't even... 

"France was great. When they say, City of Romance, they really weren't kidding."

"Tell me more." 

"I don't know but everything in it was just romantic by default. The language, the mannerisms, and ethics. It was different from here." You answered trying to give a hint. You circled the wine on your glass looking at it then at him.

"You never found anyone?" 

"I never needed to look."

You both got quiet so you had to say something. "Cause I was busy with my business, of course. I don't have time to look or get into relationships then. If I get in a scandal with my starting business, then it would wound my integrity as a business owner. No telling on what could have happened."