"So the price to cure your boredom is my life?"

"They won't do anything to you, not while I'm here anyway."

I scoff at his naïve attitude and look back out the window, but before I can transport myself back into the fantasy world I was living in, the bus comes to a sudden halt.

"Here we are! Now, it's two people per room so pick your partners. No mixed gender roommates."

"Awe, come on Mrs Barlowe!"

Mike complains jokingly.

"That really is too bad..."

I hear Zaccai whisper.

"What was that?"

I tease.

"Hm?"

I know he knows that i heard what he said but he has decided to play dumb.

"I could've sworn that I heard you say something just now..."

I push

"Me? No, maybe it's the California heat getting to you."

I shake my head while turning back to the window, choosing to let it go.

"Exit the bus in an orderly fashion and please do not embarrass our school. This is a really good and classy hotel, don't do anything foolish. Yes, I'm looking at you Mike"

Mrs Barlowe announces 

___

The building is huge with multiple stories; fifty stories at least. Mrs Barlowe checks us in while we wait in the lounge.

"Alright, I have six keys. I hope you've all picked your partners?"

She announces as she enters the lounge holding the keys. The pairs were pretty obvious. Tess and Eliana, Ezra and Mike, Audrey and Hope, Oscar and Ryan. Then me on my own- Wait a minute.

"Uhm... did you say... six keys? As in, five for us and one for you?"

I point out.

"Yes Sarah? Is there a problem?"

Heck yeah there's a problem!

"You realize we're five girls and five boys?"

I emphasize

"Yes Sarah, I know that. I can count. I know you don't like sharing but we can't afford a single room for everyone."

Her arrogant tone will just make it all the more embarrassing once she realizes.

"Yeah Sarah, don't be such a brat!"

Audrey adds, enticing Tess and Mike to join in. Zac laughs silently, having already caught on.

"IDIOTS! If the number of girls isn't equal and the number of boys isn't equal then that means a boy and a girl have to share a room. And seeing as how all you morons have already chosen your partners, that means I'll have to share a room with Zac! And there is now way I am doing that, over my cold dead rotting body!"

As I predicted, Mrs Barlowe falls silent in shame and the irritated looks on Audrey, Tess and Mike's faces soothes my frustration a little.

"Ouch, that really hurt my feelings."

Zac lets out.

"Shut up Zac!"

He gasps suddenly and puts his hand over his mouth while staring at me in shock.

"What?!"

I demand.

"You just called me Zac. Twice!"