12. Little big dream

HANJI POV *FLASHBACK*

I ran with the little frog on my hand, making attention not to collide with someone.
Just wait for mum to see it! This frog has beautiful colours! And she will know for sure its name!
I skipped a stone and turned right, taking the tiny street that led to the big house on the promontory.
"Hi, Hanji!" Mr Hannes waved his hand at me.
I stopped near his sweet shop.
"Hello!" I exclaimed.
"Were are you going with this hurry?" He asked, smiling.
"Look!" I screamed, stretching my arms to show him the frog "I just found it near the river!"
"Oh that's beautiful!" He said, looking intensely at the animal.
"I know, right?!" I exclaimed, my cheeks becoming red.
Mr Hannes laughed.
"I love your cute little face when you talk about the things you like!" He smiled.
I caressed the frog, making sure that it was calm and not in anxiety between my hands.
"Listen, Hanji... am I wrong or today is the birthday of a certain girl...?" Mr Hannes asked, with a vague tone.
I looked at him, my eyes shining.
"Yes, it is!" I screamed, smiling and jumping around him.
"Ahahah! And, how old is going to be this little sunshine?"
I stopped in front of him, opening my eyes and smiling as much as I could.
"I'm going to be six!" I exclaimed.
"Six?! Well, in a few you are gonna enter in the great adults' world!" He smiled, caressing my head.
"I think so..." I said, looking at my little frog.
"And, what are you going to do? Will you stay in this little mountain village or will you travel around the world?" He asked.
"I'll travel to meet all the animals in the world!" I exclaimed "Do you know that there are poisonous fishes?! I discovered just yesterday!"
Mr Hannes laughed again.
"You are a real free spirit, Hanji" he said "well, now it's better for you to go to your mum. Of course she will be waiting for you with a delicious cake"
I nodded.
"Bye bye, Mr Hannes!" I screamed, waving my arm at him.
"Bye, sweetie!"

I ran along the hill that led to my house, always holding the frog in my hands.
"H-Hanji! Wait!"
I turned my head.
My friend Moblit was running behind me. Well, he seemed pretty tired actually.
"Mob!! Hi!!" I screamed, waiting for him.
When he reached me, he stopped to catch his breath.
Moblit was two years younger than me but he was already really athletic and smart, even if he wasn't the fastest in climbing hills.
"I wanted to say... Happy Birthday..." panted the boy.
"Awww! Thanks Mob!"
I hugged him, making him almost fall on the grass. He patted my back.
"I have a present for you" he said, moving away from our hug.
"A present?!" I exclaimed, hoping that my frog wasn't going to vomit after all the movements I was making it do.
"Yes"
Moblit put one of his hands inside a pocket and took out a little package. He then offered it to me.
"Here" he said.
I took it from his hands, giving him my frog.
"Hold it" I said. Moblit took it carefully, making sure not to hurt it.
I unwrapped the gift just to discover that Moblit had gave me a stone. But not a normal stone. That was a particular layered rock.
"I found it near my house this morning and I imagined that you liked it... you always like this kind of things..." he said, blushing a bit.
"Wow... this is beautiful... thanks Moblit! You're a real friend!" I exclaimed, hugging him again.
"You're welcome" he whispered in my ear.
"Come on! Let's go to my parents!"
Moblit nodded.

The two of us reached the top of the hill, where my house was situated, me holding both my frog and rock.
We arrived at the door and I knocked, Moblit waiting behind me.
"It's me, mum!" I screamed.
Some seconds later, the door opened, showing a young woman with beautiful long dark brown hair and intense dark eyes. Her beautiful smile, the one that captured my father ten years ago, always on her face.
"Hi, mum!!!" I exclaimed, hugging her legs.
"Hey, honey! How was your trip to the river?" She asked, caressing my head.
"Wonderful! I found this little guy!" I said, showing her the frog.
"Oh, its beautiful!" Exclaimed my mum, taking a look at my friend.
"What frog is this?" I asked, caressing its head with my finger.
"Oh, well... noticing the semi transparent skin... I think it's an exemplar of Hyalinobatrachium pellucidum, also known as glass frog"
"Is it poisonous?" I asked.
"No, otherwise you would be already dead" mum giggled "Well, come inside. I have just prepared the cake for your birthday! Moblit, do you want to enter?" Mum asked.
"Yes" answered the boy.
"Oh! Look mum!" I exclaimed, showing to her the rock my friend gave me "it's Moblit's present!"
"Wow, it's really rare to find one of these near a village! Congratulations, Moblit!"
The boy thanked, blushing.
I left my frog jumping away through the grass of my garden.

We then entered to eat that delicious cake that mum made. Strawberries and chocolate together, my favourite flavours!
"Hey, mum?" I asked, while chewing a bite of it.
"Yes, dear?"
"Where is dad?"
"He is returning from work. He said he's gonna arrive a bit late"
"Ok... Oh, mum!"
"What now?"
"I didn't wish anything!" I exclaimed, noticing that I didn't blow the candles.
"Oh, sorry! I totally forgot. Here" mum took a candle and put it on my almost finished piece of cake "blow this and wish for something"
I thought for a moment about what I could wish, but I was already pretty sure.
I blew the candle with all the air that could contain my cheeks as a child.
I wish to... help the world with my researches and discoveries.
Moblit and mum clapped, wishing me happy birthday again.
I smiled, looking at them.
"Here! I have a gift for you!" exclaimed mum, giving me a package.
It was much bigger than Moblit's one and a bit heavy. I unwrapped it, discovering that my mum gave me an old book. It didn't have any drawing or picture on the cover but the title said:
Human body
"Wow..." I whispered, starting to brow the book. It didn't have many pictures, just a few drawings to introduce the body parts.
"Does this book talks about EVERY SINGLE THING about human body?!" I exclaimed.
"Well, not every, but the most important things that you have to know. It's a bit difficult for a six years old so, for now, you can just take a look at the pictures. This book was mine when I was younger. With it, I knew every single thing that a scientist like me has to know. I also know how to study human blood!"
"Seriously?!?!" I screamed, stepping up on my chair.
"Yes! I'll teach you something when you'll be older" mum smiled.

Someone knocked the door.
"Oh! It must be dad!" I screamed, getting off my chair and going to open the door.
I turned the handle.
"Hi dad!" I exclaimed.
"Sorry, dear, I'm not your dad"
A man with no hair and big white moustaches with a kind glance looked down at me.
I lost my smile, opening my mouth, curious.
"Who are you?" I asked, a bit shocked.
"I am Dot Pixis, the chief of the police in this village. Is your mum at home?"
"I'm here"
Mum was right behind me. I looked up to meet her eyes, but she was looking deeply into the man's ones with a concerned look.
"Can we talk in private, Mrs Zoe?" Asked the man.
Mum nodded. She then looked at me.
"Hanji, why don't you go with Moblit to the park with the swings nearby?" She asked, forcing a smile.
I immediately understood that something was wrong, but the look inside mum's eyes wasn't expecting any hesitation.
I smiled.
"Ok!"
I then went into the house, took Moblit's hand and exited to go to the park.

While I was delicately swinging on my swing, Moblit was gently pushing me to go up and down, up and down.
"What does that man want from my mum?" I asked, a bit worried.
"I don't know..." Moblit said, pushing me.
"And what if he hurts mum?!" I exclaimed.
"I don't think he is gonna hurt her... he said he is from the police, right?" Moblit noticed.
"Well, there is obviously something wrong..."
"Yeah, I noticed..."
"Stop me!" I screamed.
Moblit grab the chains of the swing as strong as he could and stopped me.
"I left mum alone... and now I'm scared..." I said, trembling on the chair of the swing.
"Hanji, nothing is gonna happen!" Moblit exclaimed, hugging me from behind.
"I don't know, Mob... I have the strange feeling that this is not going to end well..."
"Don't worry, Hanji... everything is fine..."

That was the first time I saw mum crying. The man didn't brought good news at all: dad was found dead on his way home, assassinated.
The killer had ran away and the police was trying to find him, but he didn't left many clues.
I cried so much, hugging Moblit almost to death. Fortunately he was there also in that moment, when I needed more than anytime the presence of a friend.
"Hanji... calm down now..." he said, caressing my head, since I cried unstoppable for almost three hours.
"I'm gonna find him!" I yelled, moving away from Moblit's arms "I'm gonna find every criminal of this planet! Nobody is gonna escape from me! Nobody is gonna die without justice! I'm gonna study every move, name, place! Everything! Until I'll know about them more than theirself!"