11. Change of plans

"Can I please enter in your house?" Hanji asked.
I knew there was something more than 'I wanna take another look at the street'. Obiouvsly she wanted to search for some proofs, because I still was the first suspect.

I nodded, even if I didn't want to.
Neither Erwin was ever entered in my house... And him and I were friends since thirteen years...
But I had to let enter a girl I had met that morning!

FUCK!

I took the keys from my pocket and I inserted them in the lock, opening the door.
I waited for Hanji to enter, closing the door behind me. She then went upstairs, and I followed her.
We arrived in silence at the main door of my apartment, even if all the house was mine. I opened it, with two turns of key.
We then entered, but what I saw made me do an heart attack.

My house was a complete mess.
No, it wasn't a mess, it was a DISASTER!
My table was fallen, overturned on the floor, the things that were on it scattered all around the room.
My tools, pots, books, everything was thrown away.
I immediately felt sick.
I paled, looking at the way my house was reduced.
"Oh my god..." Hanji whispered.
I felt myself trembling.
Someone broke into my house... did they steal something?!
I immediately ran in every single room to see if there was something missing, but everything seemed fine.
Hanji was looking around with her eyes and her mouth opened, in shock.
I couldn't stand still in the same place for more than one second. My breathing was fast, like my heartbeat.
"Did they steal something?" Hanji asked, coming near me.
"I-I don't know" I said, giving quick glances at my house, turning my head in every direction. I was scared and agitated.
What did they want from me?!
Hanji seemed to notice it and she started caressing my back.

A shiver crossed my spine.
Her hand was going up and down on my body. It was delicate and comforting. That touch calmed me down.
I didn't realize that I closed my eyes, abandoning myself to her. I wanted to stay there, in silence, only the two of us, and forget all the mess around us.
And her touch was just... wow...
I wanted it every morning, along my back, slowly, to start the day; or when I was sick or sad, to cheer me up, or angry to calm me down. I wanted it as a piece of my life.
She continued doing it.

DAMN...

I wanted to yell:
RIP OFF MY FUCKING SHIRT AND PASS YOUR DAMN SHITTY HAND OF YOURS TROUGHT MY BACK, PLEASE!!!
But I really couldn't say it.

I sighed, opening my eyes.
"I have to order all these things" I whispered, thinking about the long work that was waiting for me.
"Don't worry, you can come to my house today. By the way, if someone tried to rob you, I'd prefer to do some researches. So, please, don't touch anything for now" she said calmly, still caressing my back "I'm gonna call Moblit. Wait here for a second" she said, caressing me on the neck before going into another room.

WHERE DID YOU GO?! CARESS ME MORE, FUCK!!

I sighed again. Someone tried to rob me... why? What did they want? I didn't have much money, neither many jewels, the only one was my mum's ring.
I immediately went to controll if it was still there, in its casket. I fortunately found it where I had left it, hidden under the wardrobe inside a secret drawer. That beautiful golden ring with the ruby was the only thing that was left of my mother.
I put it inside my pocket, making sure that it was in a safe place.
Did they want to steal that?
No, impossible. Nobody knew about my past and my mother other than Erwin, Mike and... and... them...
But even if Erwin and Mike really wanted to steal it, even if I don't think they had any interest in it, they could just go in my room because, even if they didn't knew about they real hiding place, they knew that it was in there. But it didn't matter.

"Ok!" Hanji came back near me. I turned my head to look at her "I called the police station. Moblit informed me that he's gonna send a team to investigate here, since I already take care of the Carolina's murder. You can live with me until they have finished, ok?" She asked, smiling.
Living with Hanji... in her house... her room... maybe even in her bed...

NO, OF COURSE YOU'LL SLEEP ON THE COUCH!

"Ok..." I said, still a bit shocked.
"The only thing is... how could the robbers enter without forcing the door?" Hanji asked.
"I don't know. The windows are too high and they are closed from the inside" I said, taking a look at the walls of my room.
"Does someone else have the key?" Hanji asked.
"No. I have the only one" I said.
"That's strange... well, I'll think about it tomorrow. Or tonight, it doesn't matter. Now, take no more than three exencial things to take with you: a pair of clothes, a book, if you want, and your peluche" she smirked.
"I don't have a peluche" I said, looking badly at her.
"Oh, that's sad!" She giggled. I rolled my eyes, moving to take my things.

I packed up some clothes, trying not to touch too much the other things. I took a pair of shirts and jeans, a jacket and a pair of underwear, hoping that I would stay at Hanji's only for two days. I put them inside a bag and then I reached the detective.
"I'm ready" I said, the bag on my shoulder.
"Perfect" the girl smiled "Moblit will come in a moment with Rico, Nifa and others. For then, he would prefer that we have already left the house"
I nodded.

***

Walking with Hanji to her house was the strangest thing I've ever experienced.
The last time I went to one of my friend's house was in hight school, at the fourth year.
The last time... It would have been better if I had remained at home...
I didn't want to make that mistake again, so I never went to anyone's house after that time.
But it seemed that with Hanji I had to do again all the things I had left behind. And I didn't know if it was a good or a bad thing.

The night was coming and the streets were going darker. A little number of people was still walking at that hour, few of them were going to a restaurant, in couples or groups.
We passed near a night club that was preparing itself for the upcoming night.
"Have you ever been in one of them?" Hanji asked, her hands in the pockets of her coat and her smile on her face.
"No. I'm not the type" I answered, looking at the street.
"I imagined it" she said.
We walked more, surpassing a flower peddler.
"Hey, guys!" He said at our direction.
I looked at him with no interest, but he caught the opportunity to yell his offer.
"Goodevening, sir! Don't you want to give a flower to your pretty girlfriend?!"
I quickly turned my head to the street.
"She is not my girlfriend!" I replied, increasing my speed. Next to me, Hanji giggled.
"Thanks anyway" she said, smiling at the man, her cheeks becoming red.
I felt a strange jealousy inside of me. Her beautiful smiles were the most rare thing on this planet and seeing her giving them to a fat stranger and not me was making an empty space in my stomach.
I believed that the man would think 'oh my god this girl is so beautiful I want her as mine' and that was making me angry.

I wanted her attention on me again, so I started a conversation.
"What did you study at University?" I asked, surpassing a bar with many young people in it.
"Why?" Hanji asked, confused by that question.
"You are a detective but I noticed that you are really able with scientific things" I commented, looking in front of me.
"Oh, that! Well, when I was little I wanted to become a scientist. It was my dream. But then something happened and I changed my mind" she said.
"Ok... but you still have this passion for science, don't you?"
"Yes. It's never really gone away. I'll tell you a story, if you want. But I'd prefer that you don't go tell someone else"
I looked at her. Her eyes were serious but the smile was always on her face.
"You can count on me" I said.
"Are you sure?" She asked, giggling a bit.
I remained in silence for a moment, looking deeply in her eyes.
She was about to tell me her story, right? And it had to be important. So I had to keep the secret.
I nodded.
"Yes"
"Ok. But prepare yourself for something a bit traumatic" she started, looking in front of her but without really watching anything.
"Don't worry. I'm used to traumatic things"
Hanji looked at me, smiling.
"So, then you're gonna tell me your story?" She asked.
I looked at the floor.
"I'd prefer not..." I said.
"That's fine. My story starts with a little, curious, Hanji Zoe"