9. Bad taste in men

Hanji gave Moblit the informations about the black haired man. The chief decided to do some researches over him, seeing if in his database there was already some data about his past crimes or anything like that.
While he was doing that, we moved to another office.

Hanji knocked the door, waiting for a response. I noticed that she was doing little quick jumps, up and down with her body, but without detach her feet from the floor. She seemed nervous and excited at the same time.
I watched her. She was smiling even more than usual. Her eyes were open wide and shining and her cheeks were really really red.
I couldn't guess who was the person at the other side of the door, but probably he was really important to Hanji.
I'd really like if she waited for me this way when I come back from work...

AND HERE WE ARE AGAIN!

I couldn't help but rethink about what she said to me at luch.
"The thing is... I like you"
Did she really like me?!
Well, probably I was overreacting.

COME ON, LEVI! SHE DIDN'T SAY THAT SHE LOVES YOU! SHE SAID "I LIKE YOU" IT'S NOT THE SAME THING!

You can like a friend, a stranger, a professor... that's not the same thing as love.
That woman was really making me crazy...

The door finally opened, showing the mysterious person that Hanji was waiting with impatience. Finally, I could meet my rival-

WELL, I WAS SAYING...!

Finally, I could meet Hanji's superior.
A middle-aged man came out. He was so damn tall. Maybe the tallest man I've ever met. He had no hair and his eyes were yellow and were surrounded by a dark shadow which give him an imposing and chilling gaze.
He wasn't really handsome.... well, he wasn't handsome at all. And he was obviously too old for Hanji. But she seemed quite interested in him...

When the man had came out she made a little jump, giggling.
"Hi, Shadis!" She exclaimed, putting both her hands behind her back and leaning her torso towards him.
"Hello, Hanji" he said, without even looking at her or smiling, while he was closing the door behind him.
"How are you today?" She asked, slowly swinging her upper body from left to right.
He completely ignored her and pointed his eyes on me. He seemed really intimidating, also because he was about thirty centimetres taller than me.
"Who are you?" He asked, with a deep voice. He checked me, like if he was searching for a flaw in me.
"Levi Ackerman" I answered, looking deeply into his eyes, frowning my eyebrows. He seemed a good person but he also seemed to have the bad habit to only look for everyone's defects.
"Ackerman..." he repeated, giving me a suspicious look "Are you the only witness of the crime?"
"Yes" I answered shortly.
The man looked at me with his eyes semi closed, in silence. Then he moved his look to Hanji.
"Have you already looked in the database?" He asked.
The girl gave him a confused look.
"Looked for what?" She asked.
"For the data of Mr Ackerman. If he has past crimes..." he explained.
Hanji slammed her hand on her forehead.
"God, I totally forgot!" She exclaimed.
The man rolled his eyes.
"What do I have to do with you, Hanji..." he sighed.
The girl giggled, blushing.
"Hehe! S-sorry, Shadis... I'll tell Moblit to check for him when he'll finish with Mr Hoover"
"I hope so..."
"Anyway!" Hanji composed herself "I wanted to ask you if Rico had already gave you the answers of the examination"
The man named Shadis nodded.
"She gave me them almost half an hour ago, after Moblit's control"
"Have you find other clues?" Hanji asked, with a strange light inside her eyes.
She trusted him very much...
"Not really... your questions to the suspects are always too simple..." Shadis rolled his eyes.
"Simple but essentials" Hanji said, defending herself, crossing her arms and smiling proudly.
"If you say so. Listen, it's almost 2:00 p.m. and we still don't have results from the tests done over Carolina's body. Can you please go to the lab and ask?" Shadis said, but with a tone similar to 'I actually don't want you here so please go away'
Hanji seemed to notice it but she nodded anyway.
"I'll go check it out" she said quickly "listen, Shadis... are you free after work?" She asked, swinging her upper body.
"I'll finish work at 9:00 p.m. today" he said, doing an irritated look. Did she ask him every day?
"Can we have dinner together?" She exclaimed, leaning her torso towards him, doing her beautiful smile. I looked at Shadis to see his reaction in front of that godly smile of hers, but he seemed indifferent.

HOW CAN HE BE LIKE THAT???? THE MOST STUNNING AND WEIRD WOMAN IN THIS WORLD IS CRAZY ABOUT HIM!!!
HOW CAN HE NOT GIVE HER SOME ATTENTIONS?!?!?!
Calm down, Levi...

"No, thank you" he answered rudely.

NO, THANK YOU?!?! IS THIS THE WAY TO REFUSE SOMEONE?!?!

I really wanted to grab my hands around the neck of that man and choke him to death. Really, really wanted to do it...
"And how about watching a movie?" Hanji insisted.
"Haven't you asked me yesterday?"
"Yes, but you said no" Hanji giggled. She did it, even if she obviously knew that the man wasn't interested in her at all. I immediately felt sorry for her. I wanted to say 'don't worry, you can have dinner with me every time and we can go watch a movie every day!'
But I stayed silent.
"Well, maybe tomorrow, Hanji. Now go in the lab, please"
"Ok! See you later!!!" She exclaimed smiling, her eyes closed and her cheeks red.

We moved away from Shadis' office, going at the opposite way. I was watching Hanji. Right after leaving that damn old man at his works, she immediately fell into a strange sadness. Her smile became small and the light in her eyes faded.
We were walking in silence, but I couldn't stand seeing her like that.
I've never been the best at cheering up people but I gave it a try.
"Hanji?" I said, caughting her attention.
She looked at me. Her eyes were full of little transparent tears. I opened wide my eyes. I never believed I've ever been able to see her that way. She was always so happy and cheerful... And that old man was the cause of her tears!
I'll never make you cry like this, Hanji. Never.
I wanted to say, but I didn't want to sound stupid.
"Is everything ok?" I asked. Of course it was not...
"Y-yes" she forced a smile "Shadis can be a bit rude, but he is a good person"
I looked at her. How could she fall for that man??
She deserved the best.
In everything.
"I do not doubt that, but you can't let him treat you like that" I said.
She giggled between her tears.
She never loses the chance to smile...
"It doesn't matter. He doesn't like anyone... So, why would it be different with me?"
"I also don't like anyone, but I-"

FUCK, LEVI! WHAT WERE YOU ABOUT TO SAY?!?!?! THINGS THAT YOU DON'T REALLY THINK!!!

"But you?" She asked, smiling at me.
I looked deeply into her smiling eyes. Her cheeks were still red and her smile was so sweet.
I semi opened my mouth without realizing. Words came out of it and I didn't stop them.
"But I like you"

SHIT!