Day 30: Ruination

It was early morning. The sun has just begun to slowly rise above the horizon, heralding a new day. The first rays illuminated the Courage Square, where only recently two states clashed in a fierce confrontation. The Republic still managed to break into Nevermoor, sweeping away everything in its path. The inhabitants of the Free State stood up to defend their home.

Morrigan learned about the invasion from Squall when he came to Deucalion. He was really there, not through the Gossamer, and that made the girl panic. But then panic turned to puzzlement when Squall offered his help. But there was no time to think, it was necessary to act. The others took the idea of cooperation with Squall with hostility, refusing to trust him. Especially Jupiter. In some ways, Morrigan agreed with them, given that Squall was an excellent liar, but for some reason she trusted him now. In any case, the word Morrigan was decisive. Squall seemed completely oblivious to the unflattering comments in his direction.

While the others were trying to stop the Republic army, Morrigan and Squall set themselves the goal of finding Maud. By stopping the President, they will also stop her subordinates. Morrigan didn't want to think that maybe in the worst case scenario they would have to kill Lowry. She shuddered at the thought. Squall didn't say anything about it, his face remained impenetrable, but Morrigan could see that he was struggling to contain his emotions. They found Maud on the Courage Square, she was clearly waiting for them.

"I was hoping you were more reasonable, Mr. Squall" - Maud stared at the Wundersmith.

"I'm used to disappointing" - Squall laughed mirthlessly and grinned, he looked terrifying. Morrigan could see that his patience was at its limit.

Maud said nothing more, ordering her people to detain the two of them. However, it was difficult to call them people. Rather, they were monsters created by the President. And there were dozens, if not hundreds of them.

Morrigan was scared. No, she was terrified. Only Squall's voice brought her out of her stupor.

"Miss Crow, I don't advise you to get distracted if life is precious".

It brought her to her senses. She wasn't going to die.

Squall whistled softly, and The Hunt of Smoke and Shadow appeared around them, ready to tear everyone and everything apart. It seemed like they had been dealing with monsters for ages. Morrigan's strength was running out, unlike Squall. It felt like he wasn't even straining. A moment later, he was gone. Morrigan guessed where he had gone. There was only one person with whom Squall dreamed of getting even. He will not spare Maud.

Morrigan found Squall only a few hours later. He stood quietly and motionless, looking into the distance. Not far from where he was standing, lay the lifeless body of Maud. It was all over. Morrigan took a deep breath and with difficulty pulled her gaze away from the corpse. Maud is to blame herself. The girl caught up with Squall. Now she noticed that his shirt was covered in blood, and something told her that this blood was his too. There were several cuts on his face, as well as on his hands, but in smaller numbers. He didn't look good. Morrigan decided to speak.

"What will happen next?" - her voice seemed to her somehow loud, considering the silence that reigned around.

"The Republic will cease to exist or its residents will choose a new President. There are not so many options" - Squall said after a pause. - "The Free State will need time to restore everything. Believe me, Miss Crow, life will soon be back on track. It always happens" - he gazed sadly into the distance, where the houses of Nevermoor could be seen. Almost all were destroyed.

Morrigan nodded thoughtfully. The question was on the tip of her tongue, but she didn't dare ask it. But it had to be asked.

"What will happen to you?"

Squall let out a mirthless laugh.

"Nothing good. If I stay here" - he added, but then sighed. - "And I'll stay. I have nothing to do in the Republic. Nevermoor is my home".

Squall looked back to where The Hunt was standing silently.

"But first, there's something else to do" - he held out his hands. It was similar to what Squall was doing when treating wunimals from Hollowpox.

Morrigan looked more closely at his hands and saw the golden threads of wunder. Squall tore them apart, moved them and put them back together. The girl turned her gaze to The Hunt and noted that it was quietly disappearing, as if it had never existed. When The Hunt finally disappeared, Squall dropped his hands. Now it was clear that he was at the limit of his abilities, this fight took too much strength. He leaned against the nearest wall and rubbed his forehead tiredly, frowning.

"It has existed long enough. Longer than I expected".

"Are you glad to get rid of it?" - Morrigan asked in surprise.

"You can't even imagine how much" - he laughed softly. There was relief in his laugh.

"There you are!" - Morrigan turned to the voice. It belonged to Jupiter. He ran up to the girl and hugged her tightly.

"You're going to strangle me" - Morrigan croaked. Jupiter's embrace was suffocating.

He pulled back, looking at the girl from head to toe and checking her for wounds.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt?" - Jupiter asked anxiously.

"It's okay. I'm fine" - Morrigan took his hands, comforting him. - "Well, apart from the little scratches" - she smiled slightly.

"We'll fix that quickly" - Jupiter replied with a smile, but then his face turned serious when his gaze fell on Squall standing to the side. - "But there are more important things to do now" - he straightened up. - "The Elders want to see you, Mr. Squall" - he said in a hard voice.

"Who would doubt it, Captain North" - Squall grinned.