Don't lend your kefta

Aethra stared wide-eyed at Alina. Why wasn't she wearing the etherealki blue? Why was she wearing black?

The expression on Zoya's face told her that Zoya hadn't known either, but Genya seemed to know about it already.

Aethra tore her gaze away from Alina and looked at General Kirigan. He was already looking at her as though gauging her reaction.

Everyone else in the room also looked shocked. If he had given her a black kefta, then it was as good as claiming her as his.

Before anyone could move or say anything, the whole room darkened. This was exactly what happened before. Alina was going to present her powers again.

Aethra and Zoya turned to Genya. Zoya too had noticed the lack of surprise on Genya's face when Alina had entered.

"Did you know?" Zoya hissed quietly 

"Yes, I did. The general wanted her to wear black." Genya said

Aethra kept quiet and watched the golden balls of light glide around in the air at Alina's will. The light illuminated the room and she could see Kirigan's proud expression. Aethra had never felt so jealous of anyone in her life.

When the room when back to normal, people in the room began to cheer for her, bowing to her and calling her 'Sankta Alina'.

Many of the gathered Grisha walked up and hugged Alina. Genya went before Aethra and hugged her. Zoya did too, and she said "You still reek of the orphanage". She said it softly but Aethra was close enough to hear it. She shot a warning look at Zoya, to which the latter responded by sticking her tongue out at her.

(This scene was supposed to happen when she presents in the grand palace but I'm using it here)

Sighing at Zoya's behavior, she smiled brightly at Alina and hugged her.

"I'm sorry about Zoya, she still doesn't like you," Aethra said so that only Alina could hear

"It's alright, I think I'm used to it by now" Alina replied. Aethra winced slightly at that.

"You did well by the way," Aethra said, distracting her from Zoya's remark

"Thank you," Alina said, smiling at her

Aethra pulled away and went back so that others could talk to Alina.

Unknown to Aethra, general kirigan was watching their interaction carefully. He wasn't close enough to hear what they were saying, but he got the gist of it by observing Alina's expressions.(Aethra's back was to him)

The general's top five (Aethra, Zoya, Fedyor, Ivan, David) had been told to walk around the palace and look for suspicious behavior. Genya, on the other hand, had to go and keep touching up Marie's disguise. It would wear off if left completely unattended.

So, Zoya and Aethra walked out to patrol the corridors. David and Fedyor were checking inside while Ivan stayed with the general.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ten minutes later-

Zoya and Aethra were just going to go back when Genya came running up to them. She stopped in front of the two and panting from the run said "Marie's been attacked. She's dead. Someone's trying to attack Alina."

The two girls were shocked.

Zoya quickly told her "Aethra, I'm going to tell the others. Go inform the general" and ran away before Aethra could answer. Sparing a glance at Genya, Aethra sprinted in the opposite direction to the general's room.