The Nosebleed

Because your powers work more like a Durast's powers. You manipulate things on a molecular level and you can control anything with molecules; anything with atoms"

"Really?" I asked surprised. All my friends had told me that he must have given me a purple kefta by mistake but the general was right; I was more like a durast.

"Yes, although I have never seen anyone with the same powers like yours. Are your parents Grisha?" He asked, examining me as though he hadn't done it a hundred times before.

"No, they're ordinary people," I replied

"Oh," he said, thinking about something.

Well, I have too many questions to ask and I don't have time for you to think.

"Why is my kefta different from the others," I asked, eyebrows raised

The more time I spent with him, the less scared of him I got.

"Because your powers are different" He answered like it was obvious

"Yes, but my purple is darker than the others. If it got any darker, it would become black" I said

He stared at me intensely for a minute and then seemed to realize he was staring. He coughed and said,

"Yes, I wanted your kefta to look different from all the others. I wanted both the embroidery and color to be unique. Are there any other questions?"

"Yes, will I be able to see my parents again?" I asked, looking at him hopefully. This question had been bothering me since I came to the little palace.

I don't think I could have slept another night without knowing the answer.

He sighed.

"Do you have any questions about your powers, Aethra?" he asked in a stern voice

I looked away and shook my head, feeling disappointed. I didn't have any other questions anyway.

He must have sensed my disappointment because a minute later he said- "You will see your parents again. Once you finish training and I trust you enough to know that you won't run away, then I will let you visit them"

Yess!!

I smiled so much that my cheeks hurt.

Trust? I will earn your trust in no time

"Thank you!" I said, feeling lighter and happier

"Hmmm. If you don't have any more questions shall we go out and try out your powers?" He asked

"Ok," I said. A permanent smile had formed on my face and when the general turned away on the pretext of rolling up a map, I think I saw one on his face too.

It was gone as fast as it came.

He told me to follow as he led me out of the palace, to a small patch of land that looked like it had been through a lot. It looked like every natural disaster had visited this place at least once.

It wasn't that far from Baghra's cave. I think other Grisha might have trained here too.

The general looked at me.

"Lift that boulder" he ordered, pointing to a huge boulder.

That boulder was bigger than me! How was I supposed to lift that?

I stared at him incredulously. He met my gaze and gave me a look

"How will you be able to do things if you don't try," he said with raised eyebrows

Scowling, I focused my powers on lifting the huge piece of rock.

"Focus," he said

'I am focusing!" I replied, glaring at him

"Focus harder, Aethra!" he said, sounding exasperated

I tried very hard to lift the damn boulder. It didn't work.

I heard the general sigh irritated beside me. He was acting like it was my fault!

Controlling my anger, I tried again. This time the boulder moved. It didn't fly in the air or anything, it just rolled over.

Why wouldn't it rise into the air!?

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the general looking expectantly at the rock.

I kept trying while putting in all my strength, energy, and everything else that I had. That wasn't much

The boulder rose into the air!

It only stayed in the air for a minute because I couldn't hold it up any longer. I felt weak and drained, and my head ached. I felt like I might faint any moment and I couldn't breathe. My nose was bleeding.

Oh no. Whatever happened at the campsite was happening again!

Black spots crept into my vision and my vision began to blur.

No Aethra, stay awake!

The last thing I remember before passing out is being caught before hitting the ground and my head resting on something both soft and hard at the same time.

************************************************************

I woke up on a bed in the infirmary. The pain was gone, I felt as healthy as ever. I got up and looked around. That was when I saw Amelia, the healer who had treated me at the camp.

"Hey! Amelia! Over here!" I called, trying to get her attention

She noticed and walked towards me.

"Hello Aethra, how are you feeling," she asked politely

"I'm feeling great. What is wrong with me? Why does my nose keep bleeding?" I asked

The nosebleed was getting irritating. Especially since I didn't know why it was bleeding.

"I told the general this too. Every time you push yourself too much and overuse your powers, you internally damage yourself. That's why your nose bleeds and you fall unconscious." she answered

"Anyway, you're fine now. You can go, and I don't want to see you here for at least a year. Understood?" she said in a motherly way, which worked because Amelia must have been around my mother's age.

I nodded and smiled at her as I got up and walked out, waving at her as I rounded the corner.

Today was exhausting, I think I'm going to go to my room and take a nap.

Thank you for reading!! If you like it please vote and comment!!

Thank you @NecNec9, @Imeralrs, @Shadow_Charm, and @Basicblackbitch for voting!
And thank you @CherinneAli for adding Atoms to your reading list!
I'm sorry if I missed anyone but I'm grateful to all those who have voted!