09. The Bonding Ceremony

Start from the beginning

"But they won't be you." Trilly didn't mean to cut her off, but what was she to do? Miok spoke of giving her to someone who wasn't herself.

Miok was still gentle with Trilly. She smiled at her despite her rudeness, not punishing Trilly for talking back or cutting her off.

"It won't be me. It can't be me," Miok explained, her voice soft as she tucked a stray strand of hair behind Trilly's ear. "Do you know who choose you?"

Trilly looked at the ground, holding on to Miok's wrist, afraid she'll pull away. Hanging on to the sliver of warmth that emitted from her palm that cupped her side of her head. "Cadet Reesa."

Miok hummed as her gaze drifted past Trilly, back towards the door she had not long since walked out of.

"Not a bad choice, Reesa is one of the kindest Cadet's from our batch, you'll be in good hands," Miok said as she looked back at Trilly. A relieved, yet encouraging smile on her lips.

Adamant, Trilly shook her head. Pulling Miok's hand down from her head to clutch it at her chest, eyes pleading to understand even as she insisted, " but she isn't you. No one will be you." It wasn't that she didn't know Miok had already made her choice, but it wasn't set in stone just yet. They weren't bonded. If she could make Miok see, if she could only convince Miok otherwise, maybe, just maybe, she'd change her mind.

Their was a pained look in Miok's eyes as she shook her head for the umpteenth time. Her free hand cupping Trilly's nape and making her look directly into her eyes to show how serious she was about what she said next. "Trilly that's... That's not something that can happen. I told you, some promises aren't meant to be broken."

"What about your promise to me! Does that mean nothing to you!?"

Shock was immediate to fill Miok's eyes, head jerking back slightly as she sucked in a sharp breath. Her mouth opened around a soundless o. Trilly didn't get a chance to regert her words before one of the Handlers were already upon them. A gruff voice calling, "Cadet Ryu, kindly step away from the Dragon."

Sucking in a sharp breath, Miok barely took a step back when Trilly tightened her hold on Miok's wrist. Refusing to let her pull away. Miok's gaze, which had wandered towards the woman who had yelled at her, snapped back to Trilly. Annoyance flicking to something unrecognizable when she looked at the Dragon.

"I will come find you later, this conversation is far from over," she whispered, pulling her hand away as she fully stepped away from Trilly. The same Handler who had asked Miok to step away pushing Trilly back before she could reach out for Miok agan.

"I'm afraid I will have to ask you to leave Cadet. We have yet to finish this training session."

Miok simply gave the woman a nod of her head before she walked away. Ignoring the dejected look Trilly had pinned on her, yet unaware of the pair of dark eyes that had watched the entire thing unfold in contemplative silence.

 Ignoring the dejected look Trilly had pinned on her, yet unaware of the pair of dark eyes that had watched the entire thing unfold in contemplative silence