Japan and Discrimination Against Foreigners

The exclusion of foreigners in Japanese society continues to be a problem. Japanese people are very proud of their ancient history and traditions that have survived foreign invasion and outside influence even through the advancement of civilization. Some say that Japan loves foreigners, such as tourists who have returned to their home country with stories of happy Japanese people and wonderful events that happened to them. Other people who have lived in Japan for a period of time and have a deeper understanding of Japanese language and culture say that Japan has a great distaste towards outsiders and present horror stories of how foreigners in Japan have been treated by the Japanese. Despite such a polar pair of opinions, it is safe to state that both views can hold truth to them when it comes to the topic of Japan and discrimination against foreigners. Many societies have a problem with discrimination, and discrimination of many kinds exists all over the world. However, each society displays discrimination differently due to variations in their cultures, backgrounds and personal history and upbringing. Japan’s display of discrimination stems from a strong national pride in their unique and adapting language and culture.

The Japanese are incredibly “insider” vs. “outsider” based. In Japanese, this is called “uchi” and “soto”. (Davies, 115) “Uchi” loosely translates from Japanese to “home” or “family”, which “soto” represents the “outside”.  These two concepts are used to describe the relation of a Japanese person to another person, whether they are an “insider” or “outsider”. This relationship does have a major impact on how a person interacts, receives and transmits information, and understands the person or persons they are having relations with. Complete strangers were also referred to tabi no hito, meaning “traveler” (Mombusho 751). Despite being unexpected to understand the “laws” that dictate behavior and thought process in Japanese culture and society, because of the strong sense of “uchi” and “soto”, foreigners are excluded from Japanese society. Automatically a foreigner is recognized as an “outsider” because they are not of Japanese blood or origin, nor do they look Japanese.

It is incredibly important to understand that “uchi” and “soto” are very important when it comes to how a Japanese person may receive a foreigner in his or her home country. These two words are deeply rooted in traditional culture and are ingrained in the Japanese mind from the moment they begin to develop physically and mentally and learn how to interact with other people inside and outside of family. To the Japanese, it is important to be considered as part of a specific “group”. More often than not, rather than introducing oneself as “So-and-so”, they introduce themselves as “So-and-so from _______”, be it a school or a company or special organization. Even most shops display this sense of “group” by offering memberships for free or for charge that have many benefits to the member. Being part of a “group” represents the “uchi”, the inclusion. Should the person not be a member, then they are the “soto”.

Uchi” and “soto” when in reference to “what defines a Japanese person as Japanese” tend to have several layers of definition, and this is what I like to describe as an “Onion Effect”.  People

first judge someone or something by what they see; therefore, the first layer would be the appearance. After the appearance is viewed, the next onion layer is then placed onto the platform in the form of personal aspects of that person. Does this person have a personality that fits their appearance? If they are “goth”, then do they or are they engaging in behaviors that would fit that stereotype? If not, then are they really that stereotype or do they fit another classification? The next layer, after defining the personality to appearance, would be if that person’s behavior is characteristic to what appears to be their nationality? For example, if a person is American, are they displaying characteristic behaviors of being “straight forward”, “loud”, or “drinking” (this stereotype in Japan comes from select American soldiers who often drink and cause trouble in Japan)? Layer four, is if that person is not exuding behaviors according to their own home country’s standards, then are they displaying an understanding of moderate and acceptable behavior in the new country of residence or visitation?