Chapter 30: Protection

Song: This I Promise You by NSYNC

Lightning was something that I could handle, but thunder is another story. The flash of lights doesn't bother me so much, but the loud noise that comes with thunder makes me want to hide.

I sat on the couch and watched the rain outside the window. I'm surprised I made it back in time before it started storming because that's exactly what it's doing right now.

I heard footsteps and I turned my head in time to see Carol walking into the living room with two mugs in her hands. She smiled at me as she stopped in front of the couch and handed me a mug then sat down next to me.

She placed her leg under her other one as she had it stretched out on the floor. I watched as she took a sip from her mug and I couldn't help but smile. She looked over at me and caught me staring at her and smiled back.

"What?" when she moved the mug away from her mouth, I noticed some hot chocolate on her upper lip and I chuckled.

"You have chocolate on your mouth," I watched as she licked it off and I felt a tingle sensation run through my body.

After she was done, she looked at me and smiled, "Is it gone?" I nodded and sipped my hot chocolate. The things this woman does has my body aching for her touch and she has no idea.

I placed my mug on the table in front of the couch then looked at her, "Thanks for letting me borrow your clothes," I looked down at the clothes I was wearing and instantly smiled.

I looked back up and met her blue eyes, "You're welcome," she smiled as she stared at me and I felt butterflies erupt in my stomach. "You look better in them than I do,"

I felt my face burn and I heard her chuckle. I knew that I looked like a tomato and it was only getting worse as she was staring at me.

"Therese," I looked at her as she was facing towards me. I could see something in her eyes and I knew what she was going to say without even saying it.

I sighed, "I guess it's time to explain, huh?" I looked at her as she nodded.

I remember before I left here, I screamed at her for being like everyone who abandoned me and I accidentally told her about Phyllis abusing me. I didn't mean for it to come out, but my mind was all jumbled up and I didn't even hear myself say it until it was too late.

"Why did you tell me before?" I shrugged and I heard her sigh, "Therese,"

I shook my head, "No Carol, there were reasons why I couldn't tell you," I stared at her. "I'm sorry," I apologized because I felt like I should. I've been lying to her since day one and I would keep apologizing for the rest of my life.

Carol was someone who I should not have lied to. I should have told her everything from the day she knew something was wrong. If I never lied to her, then I wouldn't feel so bad about telling her the truth now.

I felt her tuck a strand of hair behind my hair, "I understand, Therese. But, you know that I would have been here for you no matter what," she stared at me. "You know that right?"

I shrugged, "I do now," I stared at her and I felt terrible. I should have known that she was going to be here for me no matter what I told her. If only I did tell her.

"So, where did you run off to earlier?" she stared at me as I was looking at her.

I sighed, "I was um.. visiting my mom," I avoided eye contact with her as I sat there admiring the coffee table in front of me.

We were silent for a while until she spoke, "How was it?" I looked over at her as she was staring at me.

I sighed, "It was great," I smiled a little as I looked away. "I thought back to when she was still here and how she told me things that I now realized, but I should have a long time ago,"