Chapter 26: Lost in the moment

Last night was definitely a dream because it felt like a dream. I was in complete shock when I heard her tell me that she actually wanted to give us a try after I graduate.

Graduation.

That's another two months away. I don't know if I can last that long because damn it, I want that woman more than anything right now, and if she thinks that I will last that long, she's crazy.

Besides the sleepless night, and constantly thinking about Miss Aird, there's always another problem amongst me; prom.

It was only two days away and everyone was acting like complete idiots.

I never went to prom, and most likely never will. Everyone is stupid crazy over that damn thing and I don't understand what the fuss is about.

I don't like it because it's a waste of my time, plus, there's nobody at this school that I would like to take to prom. Except for one person, and one person only.

Carol Aird.

But unfortunately, I can't take her and it sucks. I wish there wasn't anything wrong with taking your teacher to the prom and dancing with them, but I just proved my point because that sounded horrible.

As Richard and I were standing at my locker, stupid cheerleaders are running around handing out something about getting a discount hair cut for prom. I try to ignore them, but I can't. They're like mosquitos.

Oh, and they just came out of hibernation. I haven't seen them for a few months.

As soon as they all run down the hall and around the corner, I look over at Richard, "They give me a headache,"

He chuckles and nods, "Yeah, well it's their job to pump everyone up for prom,"

I rolled my eyes, "Oh yeah, nothing says 'I'm excited' like twenty percent discount haircuts," he laughs as I stand there and watch him. "No, seriously, I don't get what the big deal is,"

After he stopped, he looked at me, "Some students take prom seriously because it's their chance in the spotlight to be better than anyone else, and to go with that one special person," he smiles at me and I just roll my eyes.

I told him last night what Miss Aird told me, and he nearly burst my eardrum when he screamed. His mom came running in asking what was wrong and I couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes.

He kept me up half the night talking about how this was a dream come true for me and he was happy for me, and he couldn't wait for graduation.

I think he's happier than I am.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super happy that she finally wants to be with me, but after everything that we went through and the pain she put me through, I can't have my heart out in the open and think that everything is going to be ok, because I don't have the best of luck and this could blow up in our faces.

Richard snapped me out of my daze, "It sucks that you couldn't take her though," he made a pouty face and I rolled my eyes.

"I don't even want to go because it's stupid," which was the truth.

"You should go. It's your senior year and you wouldn't have to go anymore," he had a point, but I'm not caving.

I shook my head, "No thanks. I don't want to remember my senior year when I finally went to prom and it turned to shit," I watched as he slouched his shoulders, "Plus, there's nobody for me to take," there weren't exactly many lesbians in this school, and they're pretty much taken.

"You can go with me," he smiled at me as I stared at him. "Oh come on! I'm your best friend and who's the one person that can make your prom night magical," he did the jazz hands and I wanted to punch him.