Chapter 22: Just a little compromise

Since this town was the size of a cantaloupe, everybody in school heard what happened to me and ever since I walked through the doors, they haven't taken their eyes off of me.

"Mind your own freaking business people! She's just a human! No pictures please!" Richard escorted me through the hallway full of people staring at me. What he said earned him an elbow in his ribs.

We got to my locker in one piece and Richard looked around then back at me, "You're like famous now," I rolled my eyes as he stared at me. "They need to leave you alone," he looked around, "And get a life!" he screamed. He looked back at me and rolled his eyes, "Drama suckers,"

I chuckled and threw my backpack in my locker. It was just the start of the day and I already knew that it was going to be a rough day.

The hospital let me leave, which of course they asked if I was able to leave or if I even wanted to leave, and I never agreed to anything faster in my life. I hated hospitals and the memories that come with them, so of course I wanted to leave that place as soon as possible.

Richard heard what happened and came to visit me the day I was getting released. His parents were with him and they came to me with open arms and told me how sorry they were when they heard what happened.

I never felt more like I belong to a family more than I did around them.

Richard wanted to bring me to school this morning and I didn't argue. Miss Aird understood, and I think she was a little jealous because she didn't even smile or talk to Richard hardly when they were there.

I haven't heard anything from Phyllis since she came to visit me, she hasn't even been home which I'm used to, so it's not like it's going to affect me in any way. She's been doing this for what, four years?

I kind of want to believe her on what she told me, but a part of me still doesn't believe her enough. She tells me all kinds of lies, and I can't trust her anymore. She acted like she was telling the truth, but I don't know.

Some people will tell you something but their actions won't match their words.

The day sort of dragged on. I got plenty of stares from everyone which I'm not surprised, because like I said, this town is small and rumors will fly through it in a heartbeat. Everyone in the school, including the teachers, knew what happened.

I hate all the attention. I'm used to coming to school and no one even bats an eye at me, but now since I was 'almost killed', like everyone says, nobody has stopped looking at me.

Instead of eating in the cafeteria at lunch, Richard decided to take me to the library. He says that hardly anybody goes there and it'll be better for me instead of everyone walking me to eat.

I couldn't thank him enough, and I don't think I ever will. He's seriously the best.

We found a table in the corner of the library and sat down. There wasn't hardly anyone here except for a few people on the computers. It was a nice and quiet place and I loved staying in here when I didn't know anyone.

This is the only place I stayed at before I met Richard. I didn't like anyone here and me being the outsider I am, I didn't interact with other people. I didn't make eye contact or anything. I stayed to myself. Even when I was put into group projects, I let everyone else do the work and I would sit on the side and watch.

When Richard came into my life, it was like I could finally be myself and not have to hide anymore. I do admit, I don't talk to anyone other than Richard, but at least I have Richard.

We talked for a few minutes while eating, and it felt good to not have everyone staring at me. I hate being the center of attention, and I don't understand why they have to watch me like I'm an alien.