Chapter 16: Just the beginning

The next morning, Mrs. Aird agreed to take me to my house to get ready for school. She wanted to take me to the police station instead, but I begged her not to. She didn't argue anymore after that and I was thankful.

She understood why I couldn't go to the police with this, but she doesn't know the whole story. She knows that Phyllis is a drug addict, but she doesn't know that she abuses me. That part was left out.

I don't think I would even have the guts to tell her about that. I couldn't tell Richard, and he's my best friend. Mrs. Aird is an adult and I know how crazy they are when it comes to child abuse.

The drive to my house gave me the opportunity to ask her what she was doing that night when we ran into each other outside of the restaurant. It surprised me when I saw her car in her garage because I thought she drove there.

She told me that her friend invited her out and she came and picked her up. When I asked if she told her friend about what happened, she said no but she did tell her that something came up.

When I asked how she called her friend, she smiled at me and told me that she had her cellphone.

I wasn't thinking about that last night when I was throwing her house phone out the back door into the dark abyss. I didn't even know they still had house phones. I'm an idiot to think that a thirty year old woman wouldn't have a cellphone.

Mrs. Aird laughed at me for about five minutes. How nice.

We pulled up at the house and I stared at it for a moment. It felt weird coming back here because it felt like years since I was here. Last night was the longest night of my life and it seemed that I haven't been at my own home for years.

I looked over at her as she looked at me, "Do you want me to come inside with you?" she stared at me as I shook my head. She sighed, "Don't be too long," I nodded and got out of the car. I told her that Phyllis wasn't home anyways, and I pray that she really wasn't.

I have to find a way to keep Mrs. Aird away from her.

Walking up to the door felt like days until I finally reached it. It felt weird to be here and I don't like the feeling that I have in my gut. I always trust my gut feeling when something is off because it's usually right.

I bent down to retrieve the key from under the welcome mat. I decided to hide it there instead of taking it with me last night. I'm pretty sure I would have lost it anyways.

I unlocked the door and walked inside. When I shut the door, nobody was home. Nobody has even been here because everything was in the same spot that it was last night when I left.

Where is Phyllis?

She's probably hiding out somewhere because she owes that idiot money. She thinks she can always run from her problems, but little does she know that her problems are becoming mine now.

I didn't think about it anymore as I ran upstairs and got ready for school. I didn't want to think about Phyllis because it only made me depressed.

She puts her own sister in danger because of her stupid actions.

I have a feeling that this is just the beginning.

*

Arriving at school felt even stranger. It's like I haven't been here in years either. Last night really messed with my head.

It didn't dawn on me until now when I saw Richard's vehicle.

Richard.

I forgot about him last night and I know that he was freaking out, and probably still is. I left and never returned and his parents probably called the police or something.