-24-

"Rebecca, you can't turn everyone into a vampire to save them. Some people were meant to die," Jen's harsh words pierced me like a sharp sword. I stared at her, dumbfounded that she would say those words to me. I understood she didn't have a filter, but I was hoping she'd be more empathetic toward me. "When it comes to people's lives, it's not your place to make decisions for them. Think about Debby, you already made a choice for her whether she wanted it or not."

The Korren brothers and I were able to escape, and now we were all huddled in a circle somewhere in the middle of the woods. Jen met up with us knowing about the attack. Georgia also followed after us when Zach and his followers backed off. He knew that wasn't the right time to start the war, but he was so close to making it happen. Kaleb carried my mother's body, and now she's laying on the ground covered in my graduation gown. Her skin was already pale and lifeless, and I couldn't look at her anymore.

"She's already gone.." Jen spoke, lowering her voice and turning her head away from me. My body ran out of tears, I couldn't cry anymore. I felt empty inside and I stood there, my body stiff as I glanced at everyone.

"If that's the case.. turn me into a vampire right now. I'm tired of losing the people I love," I said with a flat tone, and my gaze landed on Keith and Kaleb.

"We will. We need to get to our destination first, it's safer there. Debby is also there so you can see her," Keith said and I nodded my head. I shifted my gaze to my mother's body.

"Let's bury her there."

***

After the burial of my mother, I stood there in solemn silence, mourning of her death. We buried her body near a tree not too far from the wooden cabin that we would be staying at. "We should get some rest," Keith suggested as he gently rested his hand on my shoulder, bringing me to my senses. I turned my head slightly, just enough to get him in my peripheral vision, and I sighed. His suggestion was more for me than us as a whole.

"You're right," I responded in a quiet voice, and Keith and Kaleb both took each of my hand and pulled me toward the cabin. We stopped at the bottom of the stairs that led to the entrance and there stood Jen, her hands clasped together in front of her body against her legs. She had a straight look on her face as she glanced at the three of us, but mostly held her gaze on me.

"Before you go in, Rebecca, there's one thing you should know. Debby isn't completely transformed yet. There's a lot of training she hasn't quite mastered or performed, so please keep that in mind. You're still a human, therefore, there might be times where she'll want to attack you, but you must be understanding of her nature. Granted, you have Keith and Kaleb to protect you, but don't be alarmed. Right now, Debby is calm and we'll all be right here in case anything happens." After Jen was done explaining, she spun her body around and opened the front door.

My eyes lit up when I saw Debby walk through the entryway and placed herself next to Jen. When she saw me, she had a confused look on her face. I watched as her eyes studied me, my entire body, and before I could open my mouth to say something, her whole demeanor changed in an instance. She was angry. My stomach dropped and I felt queasy. "Debby.. I-" No more words could make it out of my mouth. Debby stepped forward and Jen took a cautious step in her lead.

"Rebecca. I didn't want to be a vampire. I didn't want this life for me. How could you?" The pain in her voice mixed with hatred stabbed through my heart. "The suffering I have been enduring here, all because you wanted to hold on to me for longer.. this isn't what I wanted!" She began to sob, crying out in desperation. I brought my hands to my mouth, and shook my head in denial. I wasn't expecting such a reaction from her, but I knew I deserved it.

"I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry I did that to you. I really mean that, and it was selfish of me, I can admit that. But you are my soulmate, my sister! I couldn't watch you die. I just lost my own mother, Debby! I watched her die, and it made me feel better knowing that I saved you! I couldn't lose you. I can't lose you. We're supposed to be together forever, Debby." I meant every single word I said to her, and I was hoping that would ease her pain, even if it was for a short moment. Debby's sobs subsided, but her breaths were still shaky as she looked at me.