2 Uncharted Territory

Start from the beginning

"What does that mean?!" I growl, my skin ripples as Cyrus makes his frustration known.

"It means it will likely harm the babies," Chloe answers, joining us from the side. "So far they are stable, but there are no guarantees..."

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" I snarl, glaring at them. "You expect me to choose between my mate and pups-"

"Brother," Derek cuts in, tightening his grip on my shoulder and pulling me back slightly.

"You support this?!" I gasp, throwing his hand off and taking a step back.

Derek has always been there for us, I can't believe he would suggest I go along with this.

"No, fuck no! Goddess above, this is so fucked," Derek curses, shaking his head. "It's a shitty situation, but if this can save her life..."

"If she doesn't have the drug?" I ask, praying for another option.

"The infection will spread..."Doc grimly replies. "I'm waiting on lab reports and hoping it's confined to her bloodstream still."

I feel my temper fade and drop down into a nearby chair, burying my head in my hands.

No matter what we do, there's never any peace for us... Haven't we paid enough?

"It's a terrible choice, but it's yours to make," Doc says, his voice quiet. "I'm sorry I don't have better options for you, but when it comes to dark magic, there's just so much we don't know."

My heart is heavy as I weigh the options.

Just this morning we were laughing and shopping for our growing family and now I have to choose who to save...

"Jess," I whisper, anguish squeezing my chest. Cyrus whimpers in the background but his choice is the same, our mate.

"Understood," Doc solemnly replies, turning to confer with a newly arrived tech.

"There was no other choice brother," Derek says, trying to console me.

"I'll be sure to tell that to Jess when she wakes up and finds out what I did," I spit bitterly, standing up and feeling my anger flare once more.

Several of the waiting medical staff stare at me wide-eyed only, adding to my anger but something is off... Doc hasn't moved, he stands with a troubled expression as she flips through the pages.

"What are you waiting for?!" I snap. Cyrus paces in the back of my mind, looking for an outlet for his frustration.

"T-the lab reports are back," Doc stutters. "Some levels are elevated, others lowered..."

"Meaning it's already spread," Chloe adds, sagging against a nearby counter.

"Okay," I breathe out. "Okay, so what's the next step?" I ask, pinning him in place.

Doc skims the papers, opening and closing his mouth as if to say something but nothing comes out. His lack of action or answer only fires me back up, making my skin ripple as I struggle to maintain control.

"What. Is. The. Next. Step." I grit out, struggling to rein in my temper.

"That was our only step," he whispers.

"Find another fucking way!" I roar, scanning the room.

"I-I, there isn't," he sputters, backing away. "Medically speaking, there's nothing more I can do other than keep her comfortable and try and buy time. Pray that Mira and the rest find something... anything to help-"

I snarl and begin to pace, not willing to accept his prognosis.

We have been through far too much to have it end like this...