CHAPTER FIFTY SIX: UMBRA

Start from the beginning

"I know how it is, you two are young and in love but until you are married you must take certain precautions," Ebony says and Klaude cuts in cheekily,

"Trust me we take plenty of precautions."

Arwen blushes at that, avoiding eye contact with Ebony who scowls a little at that.

"I do hope you're not insinuating what I think you are," she says, "and even if you are Arwen will not be with child for years to come, queens do not obey the usual laws of conception and biology, some powerful queens didn't birth their triplets until their fifties or sixties so rest assured whatever precautions you two take are pointless," she pauses, taking another puff of her pipe, "the Goddess doesn't send the new triplets until it's time and never in our history has a queen gotten pregnant before she became Queen Crowned."

Klaude only mouthes discreetly 'there's a first time for everything' at Arwen who manages to pick it up and luckily both Ebony and Darcia didn't see what he said.

"Anyway the precautions I was speaking off was to have an appropriate courtship, particularly as Klaude is royalty as are you Arwen," Ebony says, "the last thing you need in your Ascension Year are silly rumours, this isn't a nunnery,  but do what you want but behind closed doors."

Ebony stands up at that, coming over to look at her own reflection in Arwen's mirror. She wears a beautiful silver and periwinkle dress with pure white pearls sewn into the bodice to match the pearls cleverly weaved into her long silver locks, in an elaborate up do today to showcase the large hanging moon and sun diamond earrings hanging by her neck. She looks like a moon goddess carved from stars and light.

"You look rather beautiful yourself Ebony," Arwen compliments kindly and Ebony turns, hugging her young ward.

"Thank you my darling," she replies, "well I'm ready for the party, come down in a second will you before Cierra has my head."

Arwen chuckles at that nodding graciously, "Klaude and I will be down in a minute do not worry."

Ebony nods curtly, disappearing out of the door and down the staircase where the party below has started to come to life. A lavish shadow's ball and her last one. For tomorrow in the morning, when every shadow will begin to sleep as the day begins, Arwen and Klaude are going to marry and then hope straight on their boat to Centra.

They have spent the past few days arranging everything, mostly done by Klaude as Arwen struggles to go anywhere without Cierra's spies reporting on it or following her about. They have the money they need. And they have each other. And that is enough to start a new life on the mainland, discovering a new life and discovering a new part of themselves. Freedom, something Arwen has only ever tasted faintly. Soon she shall have everything she wants. At the cost of her gift, apart of herself.

Oddly that upsets her a little, Arwen has always disliked her gift but it has started getting stronger lately, manifesting new elements that she thought had died out in the shadow gift eons ago. Starting with when she controlled Cierra's very mind to stop her from hurting Klaude. Arwen has not attempted to use that part of her gift since and isn't sure she would even know how to do it. With Cierra it was because she was hurting Klaude, it was instinctive for Arwen in that situation.

Arwen sighs, going over to Klaude and sitting on his lap nestling her head on his shoulder and he begins to stroke her hair gently,