Page 9

For a little over a week we stayed near the house to let them settle in. Then we decided they needed to see the little town we lived near. Brock and I had gone through and gotten me papers that said I was a service dog so he could take me with him anywhere we went. They were real papers on fake evidence. I wore a vest and collar that said service dog. We showed them all around the little town and I accepted the pets people gave me like normal. The only one I had never minded was a little blind girl who worked at the hardware store with her parents. She was twelve now. I hurried in and followed her flowery hand cream to her. Ellis held my leash though I wore it only for show. I tickled her hand with my nose. She laughed.

"Brutus." I rolled my eyes. It had been my smarteleck brother that got me named Brutus for the entire town. To them I was Brutus not Jaime. It still annoyed me that he got that started. "Have you been a good boy for Brock? I bet you have." I licked her hands and smiled at her. She was the sweetest girl and I loved her a lot. "Who do you have with you?" she says turning toward Ellis.

"Oh, hi. I'm Ellis. I'm a friend of Brock's. He and... Brutus, have been showing us around town."

"Us?"

"Oh I have a twin sister she's ogling the puppies at the front desk."

"I'm Ashley. The poodle pups are for sale if you want one. They are sweet little babies." she led the way to them and gave a little click with her tongue. Two of the six puppies hurried over to her hands. "These two are Andy and Dolly. They're my favorites. So smart and learn all their tricks even if they are so small and young. They'd be a great pet. Hi Brock." she says facing right toward him. She had a crush on him.

"I swear you have a better nose then Brutus does. Did Ellis introduce himself?"

"Yes. He says he has a twin sister here, is she the one that smells like chocolate?" Ellia laughs.

"Yes. I ate a cookie at the coffee house next door. I'm Ellia. It's nice to meet you."

"You too. Would you like a puppy? Dad says they are a hundred dollars a piece. They really would be great pets."

"I would love one but I've just moved to town I'm not settled in yet. The sign says that they'll breed her again next year maybe I'll have the time and space then."

"Well tell your friends they are here. We want them to go to good homes. Are you and Brock dating?" she asks. Ellia smiles.

"Yes."

"I hope you are good to him, he's very special to me." she says blushing brightly. I whine and nose at her hand. She laughs and bends to hug my neck. "You too Brutus. Does Ellis treat you right?" I lick her hand and she rubs me. "I think someone new is bathing you." how could she know that?

"How do you know?" Brock asks.

"His fur feels different. Someone has been using better shampoo. He's softer than he was." she ran her hands over my body and then up to rub my ears. "Would you like something special Brutus?" she stands and goes to the fridge in the corner. From a paper bucket at the bottom she pulls a cold chicken leg. I munch it quickly and lick her face.

"Ashley can you get the phone and tell Mrs Walsh I'm running late." comes a voice from the back.

"yes mom. wait here Brutus." Ellis bends to me.

"you like her a lot don't you?" I nod.

'She's so sweet and nothing keeps her down. That she is blind makes no difference to her.' I tell him. Ashley makes the call and comes back.

"I have something else for you Brutus. It's in back I'll be right back." she strode off and I waited pensively. Sometimes she had good presents other times it was a little more dog then I cared for. She hurried back. I would have laughed if I could. She unbuckled my collar slid on a blue tie that matched and put it back on. "There you go. Now when you're working you can look official. Mom helped me make it. Such a handsome boy." I heard snickering behind me and turned to see Brock was trying really hard not to give into the laughing.

"It's a sweet tie. Thank you Ashley." Ellia says rolling her eyes at Brock. I liked it only because it was Ashley who had gone to the trouble of making it for me. I gave her a lick on the cheek and Ellis gave me a rub.

"If you ask me I think Brutus has a crush on you." Ellis says teasing me. I snorted but licked her cheek.

"Well I like you too Brutus. You are my best friend you know. I missed you when you went on your trip. I hope you'll visit me a couple times this week."

"We've got shopping later this weeks so we'll stop in." Brock says. Anytime we were in town we stopped. A pull on my fur at my hip makes me look down. One of the puppies has it's head through the wire fencing and is pulling at my fur. I bent and bumped my nose to hers. She gave a growl and yip. I snorted at her and she rolled back only to jump at the fence growling.

'Looks like we found a fighter here.' I say to my mates and brother. Ellis leaned down and picked up the little puppy. She wiggles and licks at his chin. 'Hey you, he's taken.' he crouches next to me and I give the puppy a sniff. She barks and growls at me while wiggling closer to Ellis. Giving the little thing a bump then lick makes her back down as she realizes I'm not backing down and I could eat her.

"Would you like a little sister Brutus?" Ashley says. "I bet daddy would let you have a puppy for free. You guys are our best customers." Before Brock can decline she runs off.

"Oh boy. Who wants a puppy?" he asks. Ellia is bouncing and Ellis is grinning. Great all we needed was an actual puppy to raise.

"Could we really?" Ellia asks. "Could be practice for our own?" she says grinning at him.

"If you really want one. She's brave enough that if Jaime doesn't make her wet herself then she'll do fine around the pack. Ashley came running back her father James behind her.

"I hear your interested in the puppies. As a special request if you want you can have your pick, for free." Brock looks at me I just roll my eyes and give a tiny nod. He looks at Ellia and Ellis. They are both hopeful.

"Alright, she's a strong female she'll be good. Brutus can show her the ropes at home."

'Remind me to give you a smack when we get home.' I tell him.

"By the way, this is Ellia and Ellis. They moved into the house." Ellia made the relationship obvious by putting her arm through Brock's.

"Welcome to town. I'm sure I'll be seeing you guys a lot then. Brock and Brutus are in here a lot."

"Ooh while we're here we need to get her some things." Ellia and Ellis hurry off. I just tag along as they pick out bowls and collar, harness, toys, blankets, bed, bag to carry her things in and an appointment with Ashley's mother later that week for the puppies first grooming. With her on her leash she trots out of the store next to me.

"Aw the two of you are so cute." Ellis says grabbing out her phone and taking a picture.

'Bet she wets the floor when I shift.' Ellis laughed.

"I think she's going to surprise us and she'll be wonderful practice for us. Plus a sweetheart to help keep an eye out and be a friend for the kids." when we get home I wait till they've got her set up then we go out on the back porch.

'Alright little fluff ball watch this.' I shift and wait. She watches seeming confused. Comes over sniffs then just plops on my foot. "Well I guess you are a rare little girl. Didn't do more than confuse you for a moment. Well while your new mama and papa get you settled I'm going on patrol." I kissed my mates and left them with Brock at the house. I did my own patrol at least once a day if not more. Like usual I saw nothing suspicious and headed back for home.