Chapter 12

Hey dear readers, would you be interested in being my patrons if I created an account on Patreon? You can also comment here what you would like to have access to if you become one! I have some ideas, but suggestions are always welcome :)

Bartholomé P.O.V

After Luka’s hurried departure, I had left the dining hall and instead roam the halls in search of a window to see his soaring, no longer feeling hungry with how devoured from the inside I was feeling over the mate link getting weaker and weaker as Luka parts from me, the small insects of worry creating tunnels of emptiness in my belly, their slow and tortuous path making shivers race down my arms and back. I hope he won’t be gone for too long… 

I feel as if my heart is slowing down a little bit more with each step I take, my body temperature dropping to worrying levels along with it and making the dark walls feel colder than ever before. Feeling another vibration coming from my protruding stomach, I gently rest my hand there and rub the flesh. It’s as if my baby was feeling my distress and wanted to tell me that I wasn’t alone. How cute. 

They are right, though; I am no longer alone. Even if my mate has gone to who knows where to do who knows what, there is still one more living being inside me. I can’t let myself get carried away like when I was rejected. Not eating and staying in bed for days without even sleeping with the nightmares hunting me and making me fear that my first mate would somehow find me back and hurt me again was how I coped with the rejection. However, now I am not in the same context. My second mate is only gone due to his duties, he didn’t abandon me, nor would he hurt me at his return. I don’t have anything to be afraid of. 

Taking in a big breath, I slowly exhale it back before simultaneously slapping both my cheeks with my palms to motivate myself. There is only one sentence that I need to engrave in my mind. 

I will survive without him. 

*** 

As I am walking past a big window in the form of a cross, a glimpse of vibrant green makes me halt, my head wiping around to catch the sign of a huge dragon slowly flapping his wings the way a bird would do to take his flight. My breath catches in my throat as I recognize Luka’s other form, the majestic creature not one I could forget easily. I halt, my feet taking me back to the window and my hand coming to a stop in front of it, fingers brushing against the cold glass that seemed to reflect my heart at the moment.  

Tears threaten to spill from my eyes, throat closing up and breathing becoming harder, but I refuse to let them fall. Now that Luka is gone, I will need to face all the hostility alone. To do so, I will need to be strong. I shall not show any weakness to my enemy and right now, I’m right in the foe’s camp. From now on, eggshells will be what I will be walking on, no more soft carpet or even brown mat, each step will have to be calculated. 

I’m in no way familiar with the castle nor am I accountancy with the staff, which is pretty bad. Too many uncontrollable variables can make me fall off the frail throne I have been put on by Luka. One wrong move and I will fall down into the wicked water staining the foundation of this palace. I need to secure a high position for both me and our Micro bean to assure our safety. 

For now, I need allies. Someone to watch my back and give me Intel. 

The King is a big fat no, the Queen one I am not familiar with and do not wish to meet from the way Luka doesn’t seem to really like her, the staff seems pretty much like peas in a pod with the old man and Gloria now luckily off to who knows where with her lovely daughter- Wait… Luka did say that the witch’s offspring was quite pleasant, which is kind of surprising considering her raising. He is not one to exaggerate too, even if it means pissing off an old rag that deserves it and seeing smoke comes out of her ears. For now, she seems like the best option. I can only hope that Gloria didn’t take her daughter with her like the bitc- mean person she is. I need to watch my language now that I will be a dad, good habits need to be started early on.