46: Sunshine... Sunshine

The sun will turn into darkness, and the moon into blood...

Showers of thundering rain will cascade from the Heavens to wash clean the earth that is dirtied with the inevitable bloodshed.

The sky outside was still dark, albeit lit up with a fading red glow. The super blood wolf moon was bidding farewell. The clouds ruled over the twilight, shrouding the world in a gloomy and dark cocoon of ominous black. The Heavens cried and wept sorely, thundering splashes of the rain outside echoing through the Healing Hall.

And yet through it all...

The deadly grey was shattered in one teeny tiny corner. A minuscule hole shredding the black cloak. A single soft ray of light boring into the darkness.

Of course. Dawn was only an hour or less away. The battle had lasted long and strong. 

Sunlight. A single ray of hope amid the gloom.

Sunshine... Sunshine... A-Ying. A-Ying will know what to do, Lan Zhan nodded to himself as he finally slumped into a chair.

"Wangji," Lan Yuanhua tapped his shoulder and forced some water down his throat. "You're running out of energy. You rest, we'll do this."

"We can't lose you as well, Father..." Jingyi sulked.

Lan Zhan gulped.

"Jingyi!" Xiyi rammed her elbow into her husband's stomach. "Watch your mouth!"

"What? It'd make him see things clearer, at least," Lan Jingyi shrugged. "Look, we'll do this. Auntie Qiang take Mingxia and stay in your room. We need someone to stay with the poor girl."

"And the energy?" Lan Qiang asked, already brushing down her robes to take off.

"While Wen Shushu and Senior Yuanhua work on this, Xiyi, Doctor Jiang and I will do the energy-passing. Father needs to rest."

"Good. Make sure he doesn't overwork himself," Lan Qiang nodded to Jingyi and swished out the door.

Lan Yuanhua shoved a bowl of water into Lan Wangji's hands as the latter slumped on his chair, face pale and eyes drooping. Tired, exhausted... done with this. All any of them ever wanted was peace and a happy family. Not... not this... anxiety, grief, loss, pain, dread... none of this.

He buried his sweating face in his palms, taking in gallons of air to calm himself down. Albeit peaceful on the outside, his heart was trembling on the inside. Gege was unconscious; Jiang Wanyin was nearly gone; his dear son was out cold; A-Ying had disappeared. What next?

Wait what? 'Jiang Wanyin was nearly gone'? Why would I care? Lan Zhan shook his head slightly.

"Hmmmm why is nothing working..." Jin Xiyi bit her lip, staring at Lan Sizhui's still pale-as-snow face.

"Maybe we're not sending in enough? Maybe our power isn't enough..." Jingyi frowned, tautening his hands and forcing more energy out of him into Lan Xichen.

Jiang Yunxi looked up from Jiang Cheng. "Not really. Just... just their poison... the Qiong Qi's thing is completely resentment energy... why won't it leave?"

"I wonder if we're worsening things," Wen Ning frowned.

"Why?" Lan Wangji perked up in fear.

"Well... if the Qiong Qi's dark energy has already firmly attached itself and really is invincible... maybe it's too strong for your spiritual energy... in which case there'll eventually just be both dark and good energy in high proportions, attacking each other. If there are huge amounts of both energies... and an internal conflict between them, which is likely..." Wen Ning bit his lip and looked up at the others. "Wouldn't that make them weaker?"