22: Chief Cultivator and the Pesky Mouths

"Wanyin? What is it?" Lan Xichen bent over his shoulder to lean in and peek at the scroll in Jiang Wanyin's hands.

"Ah, a letter."

Lan Xichen read it aloud in a low and curious voice.

"Jiang-xiong,

I got your letter on the situation with the beasts. Wei-xiong sent me a similar letter. And personally, I'd been having trouble myself. Xuanji went on a night hunt recently with Xiyuan and Zhilan. A-Zheng is too small for it yet. And they'd come across a beast, some humongous monster that kind of looked like a spider or something. But skipping the details, it was too strong for it to be a normal demonic beast. Let alone Xiyuan my Head Disciple, or my daughter Zhilan, even the wonderful Dao Meiren couldn't kill it! Would you imagine that? Xuanji's first time in years, being unable to kill a target. Haha, boy am I happy!

Jokes aside, all three claimed to have seen these weirdly flashing green eyes. The spider thingy's eyes had held a violet glare all along, but suddenly turned green. Only for a flicker of a moment, through, like you said. I'm guessing it means the energy in the beast is being replenished, but the flash of the eyes is momentary so that nobody will notice. Any random cultivator wouldn't have seen, but well... none of us are random!

Since both the two Immortals, an older Jade, a Sect Leader and my own wife have given evidence, this a serious situation. I'm calling everyone together. Sect leaders' conference. All the sects and clans. Just the leaders, I don't want too many people leaving their homes behind in possible danger. The leaders of each sect or clan, accompanied by a single disciple. That's all. Head Disciples, and all will have to stay back for protection. The conference is tomorrow morning. I've sent out alerts to all the leaders along with this letter to you. And notify Wei-xiong that I've set all this up, busy setting the hall up for the meeting, can't send him a personal letter.

See you next morning at eight, then! And by the way, if one of the Immortals could come, I'd appreciate it.

Sending love! Just kidding, Er-Ge don't kill me!

Huaisang.

Such a humorous young man he'll always be," Lan Xichen laughed.

"Forever the joker," Jiang Cheng smirked. "One of the Immortals? Why?"

"Better influence. With something like this, it'd be hard to get the clans in action. We're talking about demonic beasts. Not the kind of thing one would assume capable of ending the world. You know some clan leaders can be..." Xichen sighed. "Difficult to cope with."

"You must mean FatGermYao."

"Huh?"

Jiang Cheng laughed and rolled up the scroll. "Clan Leader Yao. We call him that. Jingyi named him. Wei Wuxian spread it."

"Seriously?" Xichen shook his head. "You should be more decent..."

"Blah blah blah," Jiang Cheng put out his tongue.

"Good that you're leaving, I can do a bit of tinkering with Meilien tomorrow morning."

"Excuse me? Who said you're not coming?"

"Er... they did say only sect leaders and one disciple?"

Jiang Cheng stared at the shut paper for a moment before heaving a sigh. "Ah... so I'm going alone?"

"Take Jiang Qiao. Baozhai and Jiang Liwei will take care of things here. I'm here, too."

"Hmmmm," Jiang Cheng pouted. "Fine, whatever. Oh, and the Immortals...?"